Kitchen fire rips through elderly woman’s home

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

IMG_20130926_032007_954SEATTLE — A kitchen fire at an elderly woman’s home ripped through woodwork and caused $100,000 in damage shortly after midnight Thursday.

According to the Skyway Fire Department, neighbors called emergency workers at 12:02 a.m. with reports of smoke in the 12000 block of 69 Avenue South, just west of Skyway Park. Firefighters from Skyway, Tukwila, Renton and officers from King County Medic One responded to the call. Firefighters managed to put out the growing blaze quickly, but the house was considered a total loss.

Investigators found the fire started when an elderly woman’s kitchen caught fire while she was cooking a meal. The woman was taken to a local hospital for evaluation.

Skyway Fire Spokesperson Dave Nelson said cooking fires were the number one cause of fire in his district.  He reminded residents to watch over their food while cooking.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.