Tacoma Fire and HazMat officials were on the scene evaluating the extent of the leak at 11 a.m. , Dan Vopel of Tacoma Public Schools said. The leak was due to work contractors were doing on the roof, and officials were working to clear the area before students are let back in, Vopel said.
The school was evacuated after teachers and staff begun complaining about fumes and shortness of breah. One staff member and 42 students were taken to a local hospital by bus as a precautionary measure for treatment of nausea, Tacoma Fire said.
Officials said the students were taken to the hospital in a school bus. The building was expected to reopen around 12 p.m.