Man severely burned in backyard science experiment blast

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

Lights and sirensLYNDEN — A Whatcom County man is in the hospital after an attempt to extract hydrogen to fuel his his cars went terribly wrong.

The man was using electrical current to separate hydrogen from water in a two-story shed in Kendall, east of Lynden, when an improvised container, a five-gallon propane tank used to store it, over-pressurized and exploded.

The blast shook the entire neighborhood.

He suffered severe burns on his arms and legs and chest and was airlifted to Harborview Medical Center.

The explosion blew apart parts of the shed, but there were no other homes damaged or other people injured.

Police say the explosion appears to be an accident and no crimes were committed.

The FBI, the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms, the Washington State Patrol and the Bellingham Police Department’s Hazardous Devices Unit are all assisting with the investigation.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

1 Comment

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.