No highly invasive species found on suspected Japanese dock

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

Photo: Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife

FORKS, Wash. — Many of the same organisms found on a Japanese tsunami dock in Oregon have been discovered on the dock that recently washed ashore on the Washington coast, but no highly invasive species have been detected, a state Wildlife and Fish official said Thursday.

Allen Pleus, the Washington state Department of  Fish and Wildlife’s aquatic invasive species coordinator, said the evidence shows that Japanese coastal organisms continue to survive on marine debris, even after 20 months at sea.

Pleus said most of the species on the Washington dock were present on a similar dock that came ashore on Agate Beach, Ore., in June, but none of the highly invasive species found on the Oregon structure were present on the Washington dock.

Nearly 30 species have been identified so far, he said. More detailed analysis is ongoing and may require several months, Pleus said.

Responders also took samples to test for radioactivity. Washington State Department of Health experts said it’s unlikely that radioactive contamination will be detected.

The dock, suspected to have been set adrift by the March 2011 Japanese tsunami, remains beached on a remote and rugged section of the Olympic National Park coastline, state officials said.

State responders are developing a plan for dealing with the dock. No plan can be enacted until January, however, due to tides and daylight access, said a Washington State Marine Debris Task Force news release.

Meanwhile, as a precaution, a tracking buoy has been attached to the dock. The buoy transmits its location twice daily via satellite. The location coordinates have not changed, indicating the dock has not moved since visited by a response team last week, the task force said.

A ground crew representing federal and state agencies reached the dock on Friday, Dec. 21. It has been discovered earlier by a Coast Guard helicopter crew.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

1 Comment

  • Roy Harper

    I wouldn't celebrate just yet. How long has that dock been there in the first place? It could simply be that whatever was on that already crawled off somewhere before the authorities began inspecting.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.