Story Summary

South Seattle standoff

SEATTLE — Around 12:37 a.m. May 5, an unknown number of suspects entered a building and robbed one man who was on the phone, police said. Officers responded and when they arrived, two suspects walking out of the building and taken into custody. A standoff ensued.

Story Timeline
Previous Next
This story has 2 updates

SEATTLE — A police and SWAT standoff Tuesday morning in South Seattle reportedly ended peacefully when a third and final robbery suspect was taken from a building in the 8300 block of Dallas Avenue by police shortly before 6 a.m. Tuesday.

The suspect was the last of three suspects arrested Tuesday morning. The man was found hiding in the building’s ceiling, police said.

arrestedPolice were called to the scene with a report of a robbery-in-progress early Tuesday morning inside a building containing marijuana. The victim called police as three unknown men entered the building, police said, and he set the phone down and allowed the 911 call to continue as the suspects allegedly tied the victim with duct tape. The man managed to escape, and police arrived at the scene to find the victim running out of the house. Two suspects followed him and were arrested by police.

A third suspect stepped outside, noticed police and quickly walked back in. Police tried to get the man out of the house with flashbang grenades and chemical irritants. The man, believed to be armed with a gun ,hid in the ceiling. He was taken into custody without further incident.

The robbery victim told reporters the suspects beat him up and held him for 20 minutes. Luckily, he said, he was on the phone with his friend at the time of the robbery, and his friend called police.

A large amount of marijuana was believed to be in the building, police said, and a sign on the building identified it as the Academy of Cannabis Culture and Technology.

Police are awaiting a search warrant to continue their investigation.

Local News

SWAT standoff ongoing in South Seattle

SEATTLE — Police and SWAT officers surrounded a South Seattle building in the 8300 block of Dallas Avenue where a robbery suspect was believed to be hiding.

Around 12:37 a.m. Tuesday, an unknown number of suspects entered the building and robbed one man who was on the phone, police said.  Officers responded to the scene and arrested two suspects walking out of the building. They believe one man was still inside as of 5 a.m.

photo-1The robbery victim at the building did manage to run outside and is being interviewed by police. He was treated at the scene for minor injuries.

Police believe there is marijuana in the building. An officer at the scene says police do not know how long this standoff will last. SWAT officers used flash bang grenades and a loud speaker to try to convince the suspect to come out.

This is an evolving story, and will be updated as more information becomes available.