Story Summary

Man accused of killing girlfriend’s 3-year-old

A 28-year-old Tacoma man is under arrest, accused of killing his girlfriend’s 3-year-old son. Police arrested Derrick Myers at his home on Pacific Avenue early Wednesday morning, May 8.

Story Timeline
Previous Next
This story has 3 updates

TACOMA — A busy day care in Tacoma, Little Lambs Child Care Center, has been shut down and its license was revoked. Authorities said caregivers failed to report signs of abuse on a 3-year-old boy who later died at a hospital. The child’s mother’s boyfriend is accused of killing him.

Authorities are investigating if the child’s death could have been prevented if the day care workers did what they were supposed to do.

The closure comes two weeks after the death of a 3-year-old boy named Terrick. His mother rushed him to Mary Bridge Hospital and told the hospital staff he had stomach pains. But he died just minutes after they arrived. An autopsy said Terrick died from blunt force trauma to his head and abdomen.

The mother’s boyfriend, 28-year-old Derrick Myers, was arrested at his apartment and accused of murder. Myers is being held in jail on $2 million bail. .

“It’s very surprising,” said neighbor Veronica Williams. Williams says her granddaughter attended the day care two years ago and she doesn’t believe the center did anything wrong.

“I really can’t believe it because from what I know, what I’ve seen, everybody was nice and polite. I don’t believe it,” she said.

The Washington State Department of Early Learning (DEL) sent a letter to the day care’s owner, Petra Waiters, and revoked her license.

“You and four staff members were aware that a child in your care had unexplained bruises and neglected to report the bruises to Child Protective Services.” Resmondo continued, saying,”Conditions in your child care facility constitute an imminent danger to a child,” Rosita Resmondo with the DEL wrote.

Officials said child care providers go through extensive online training to spot signs of abuse.

The day care center will be closed for at least 90 days while an investigation is conducted. Police said failing to report signs of child abuse is a gross misdemeanor.

The closure also forced nearly 50 families to find child care alternatives.

littlelambsTACOMA — The state Department of Early Learning has shut down a Tacoma day care facility, saying five workers there allegedly knew a toddler who was killed last week had unexplained bruises and neglected to report them to Child Protective Services, The News Tribune of Tacoma reported Wednesday.

According to the newspaper, a summary suspension letter was sent Tuesday to Little Lambs Children’s Center at 1122 S. Woodlawn Street, which state spokeswoman Kara Klotz said means the business must close immediately pending further investigation.

State law requires day care workers “immediately report abuse or suspected abuse,” Klotz told the News Tribune. “Law enforcement didn’t find any evidence that the abuse happened at the facility. There is evidence that they (the day care workers) may have violated the mandatory reporting law. Law enforcement referred the case to us, and we then opened our own investigation. We’re not making any conclusions at this point.”

Klotz said the investigation is related to the killing of a 3-year-old boy  May 7 from blunt force trauma to his head and abdomen. Derrick Myers, 28, the boyfriend of the boy’s mother, has been charged with first-degree murder in the boy’s death. Myers pleaded not guilty, and the court set his bail at $2 million.

TACOMA — A 28-year-old Tacoma man is under arrest, accused of killing his girlfriend’s 3-year-old son. Police arrested Derrick Myers at his home on Pacific Avenue early Wednesday morning.

kiddiesNeighbors at the Pacific Manor apartments on Pacific Avenue were shocked to hear about the death.

“If it’s true, oh my God, I just don’t believe that,” said Florine Bolden. “That is ridiculous, that’s crazy. To have a baby have to go through that, that is not good.”

Investigators said late Tuesday night the unidentified mother of two young children rushed her 3-year-old son to Mary Bridge Hospital in Tacoma. Doctors alerted police, saying the child had signs of abuse and had trouble breathing.

“They could see that there was some physical injuries that were apparent,” said Tacoma police officer Loretta Cool. “The child did end up passing away.”

Police then arrested Myers at his apartment and booked him for homicide

The child’s mother let Myers watch her two children, the boy and his 2-year-old sister, for about four hours.

Officials have placed the boy’s ,sister in protective custody during the investigation.

Myers will be arraigned Thursday afternoon.

The Pierce County Medical Examiner’s Office said the boy suffered from blunt force trauma to his head and abdomen.