Story Summary

Carnival Cruise LInes ship woes

In February, a Carnival Cruise Lines ship was stuck out at sea after it was stricken by an engine room fire. It took nearly five days for the more than 4,000 passengers to reach shore and leave the filthy ship. Then, on March 14, another Carnival Cruise Line ship was reported to have suffered a generator failure while it was docked in the Caribbean and the ship’s passengers had to be flown to Florida.

Story Timeline
Previous Next
This story has 4 updates

 (CNN) — One person was missing Wednesday afternoon after high winds in Mobile, Alabama, caused the disabled cruise ship Carnival Triumph to break loose from its dock, officials said.

There were conflicting reports as to where the missing man was working.

An official with the city’s fire department said the missing man and another person were in a guard shack that was blown into Mobile River. One man has been recovered from the water.

However, the U.S. Coast Guard said the missing person was involved in repair work on the Triumph. The call to the Coast Guard came in at 1:45 p.m. CT.

Carnival spokeswoman Joyce Oliva said all of the company’s crew members and contractors on the ship have been accounted for. The company said it understood two workers on an adjacent pier had been knocked into the water.


Wind gusts reached between 40 and 50 miles per hour Wednesday, according to the National Weather Service in Mobile, though a Carnival statement said the winds exceeded 70 mph.

The Triumph has been at BAE Shipyard in the Port of Mobile since an engine fire in February left the cruise ship crippled and adrift in the Gulf of Mexico with more than 4,200 people aboard. For four days, tugboats guided the disabled ship into the port as passengers complained about miserable conditions on board.

On Wednesday, it drifted across the shipyard after breaking free. Tugboats kept it from drifting farther down river, the Coast Guard said.

For the complete CNN story, go here.

 (CNN) — Carnival Cruise Lines is working to fly all passengers on one of its cruises back to Florida after the ship suffered a generator failure while docked in the Caribbean.

The experience on the Carnival Dream became something of a nightmare for some passengers Wednesday when power went off, some toilets stopped working, and no one was allowed to get off the vessel — despite the fact that the ship was docked at Philipsburg, St. Maarten, in the eastern Caribbean.

Although power was restored and facilities were functioning again, the ship still couldn’t leave port.

carnival cruise 03-14-13

Courtesy of CNN

“During regularly scheduled testing of the ship’s emergency diesel generator, a malfunction occurred,” Carnival said in a statement.

“While personnel continue to work on the technical issue we are making arrangements to fly all guests home via private charter flights and scheduled flights from St. Maarten. Guests on the current voyage will receive a refund equivalent to three days of the voyage and 50 percent off a future cruise.

“We are also canceling the ship’s next voyage which is scheduled to depart on Saturday, March 16.”

For the complete CNN story, go here.

cruiseship(CNN) — Carnival Triumph passengers scattered to the four (better smelling) winds Friday, headed anywhere and everywhere but back to the stinky, crippled ship where they were trapped for days.

By the busload, passengers arrived in New Orleans, Galveston and Houston, destined for flights or car trips that would take them home after the ill-fated trip — which went horribly wrong after an engine-room fire Sunday left the ship drifting, largely without power, in the Gulf of Mexico.

Among the arriving passengers in Galveston, Texas, were Tony and Jenny Larocca of Lake Charles, Louisiana, on their first trip away from the kids — a cruise that the husband got his wife for Christmas. Their souvenir? A bag of stinky clothes and a new appreciation for each other.

“There’s no way I could have made it without him,” Jenny Larocca said.

Tears and big hugs as passengers reunite with families

As they spoke, tugboats were pulling the crippled Triumph to a Mobile, Alabama, shipyard where it was to undergo repairs. The ship won’t carry passengers until at least mid-April.

For more video and the complete CNN story, go here.

cruiseshipMOBILE, Ala. — Almost five days after their ship was disabled by an engine fire, the more than 4,200 people on board the Carnival cruise ship Triumph began disembarking late Thursday night, about an hour after docking at the Port of Mobile.

Crews were busy tying the ship to the dock at the Alabama Cruise Terminal as cheering passengers hung over balcony rails or waited in lines to exit the vessel.

It’s almost over for the 4,227 passengers and crew stuck on a filthy, disabled cruise ship that limped into port three days after it was due.

Once the ship ties up at the dock, it will take four to five hours to get everyone off, said Terry Thornton, a Carnival vice president, said.

Carnival CEO Gerry Cahill told reporters he was going on to the ship to personally apologize to passengers.

“We pride ourselves in providing our guests with a great vacation experience, and clearly we failed in this particular case,” he said.

As the ship approached Mobile, passengers were thrilled.

“I just had a crab sandwich with lobster for lunch because they are finishing off all the food,” said Ed Buck, who was staying on an upper floor. “Life is good. People are very excited right now. We’re getting back. You know, I think the media’s made a lot of — made it sound real bad. It’s not quite as bad as everybody says.”

Most people didn’t agree with Buck, who said he has cruised 13 times and will do so again.

“I don’t know how much more we could have took,” passenger Larry Poret said via cell phone. Poret was aboard with his 12-year-old daughter, Rebekah, who said the ordeal has been “really, really difficult.”

Thanks to CNN cameras aboard a helicopter circling the crippled ship, Rebekah’s mother, Mary Poret, was able to see her daughter for the first time in six days.

“It’s excellent, I’m very happy,” Mary Poret said.

For more on this CNN story, click here.