Story Summary

North Seattle man shot, killed by police

On Feb. 26, Seattle police responded to a domestic disturbance call. When they arrived, a man raised a piece of rebar and officers shot and killed him.

Story Timeline
Previous Next
This story has 2 updates

rebarSEATTLE — Police released audio files and photographs related to an officer-involved shooting that took place Feb. 26 in North Seattle. Officers had responded calls of a domestic disturbance and when they arrived, Jack Keewatinawin raised a piece of rebar, prompting police to shoot him. He later died from his injuries.

In two separate 911 calls from Keewatinawin’s brothers, they told the dispatcher their brother had a knife to their father’s throat. Audio files of the calls are available here and here.

The homicide unit is investigating the incident and the three officers involved in the shooting have been placed on administrative leave, which is department procedure following an officer-involved shooting.

arrowhead n sea shooting

Evidence police gathered at the scene of the shooting











knife n sea shooting

Evidence collected from the scene of the shooting


shoot1SEATTLE — A man who was shot by police following a domestic violence hostage situation died Wednesday at Harborview Medical Center.

According to the Seattle Police Department, the 21-year-old man, Jack Sun Keewatinawin, a Native American, died from gunshot wounds.

Police contacted the man after a call came in at about 7:30 p.m. from a family involved in the domestic violence situation in the 10100 block of 4th Avenue Northwest. Officers received a report that the man was holding a knife to his father’s throat.

According to Seattle police:

“The 911 call stated that a family member was threatening to hold the father hostage with a knife,” the Seattle police blog said. “Officers arrived at the house and made contact with the adult male suspect as he was walking out the front door. Officers were able to separate the suspect and the father and began giving the suspect verbal commands.

“The man refused to follow the officers’ commands, and attempted to get back into the house.  At that point, one of the officers deployed his Taser, but it was ineffective.

“The suspect fled down the street and officers deployed a Taser, which had no effect.  Officers pursued the suspect through the yard and again deployed a Taser, again without effect.

“The suspect stopped and confronted officers with a large piece of rebar metal. One of the officers had slipped and fallen near the suspect’s feet. The three officers were forced to fire their weapons to defend themselves, striking the suspect.”

The man was rushed to Harborview Medical Center, where he later died of multiple gunshot wounds, police said.

Detectives from the Homicide and Assault Unit are investigating the incident. No officers were seriously hurt.