Story Summary

Las Vegas Strip shooting

A drive-by shooting on the Las Vegas Strip on Feb. 21 left an aspiring rapper dead — when his car spun out after he had been shot, it struck a taxi traveling on the Strip, killing the driver and Sandra Sutton-Wasmund, 48, of Marysville.

Story Timeline
Previous Next
This story has 4 updates

ammar harris1A man suspected in a deadly car-to-car shooting in the heart of the Las Vegas Strip boasted online about living a fast life of guns, cars and women.

Ammar Harris, described by law enforcement officials as a man with an “extensive and violent criminal history,” is accused of being the gunman in the Feb. 21 shooting that killed three people, including Kenneth Cherry Jr., an Oakland native and rapper known as Kenny Clutch. Harris was arrested in Los Angeles on Thursday.

Harris is slated to appear in a downtown Los Angeles courtroom Monday for an extradition proceeding.

According to law enforcement sources, Harris operated as a pimp in Las Vegas. In a video released by Las Vegas police, Harris flashed a fistful of $100 bills as he bragged about the money he made. He boasted about money, guns, expensive cars and run-ins with the law on social media accounts, authorities said.

On one social media site, using the name Jai’duh, someone authorities believe was Harris posted pictures of stacks of $100 bills and a Carbon 15 pistol.

Harris’ police record includes a 2010 arrest in Las Vegas on suspicion of pimping-related offenses of pandering with force and sexual assault. He has previously been arrested on suspicion of a variety of crimes in South Carolina and Georgia, authorities said.

Las Vegas police said Harris opened fire from his Range Rover on Cherry’s Maserati on Las Vegas Boulevard after an altercation at a valet stand at the Aria hotel resort.

The Maserati then sped into the intersection at Flamingo Road, where it rammed a Yellow Cab, which erupted in flames near the mega-wattage casinos of the Bellagio, Flamingo and Ceasars Palace. The explosion killed the taxi driver and the passenger inside.

Cherry and a passenger in his Maserati were taken to a hospital, where Cherry was pronounced dead. Four other vehicles were involved in the fiery crash, which left three other people with injuries.

“What I can tell you is that Mr. Harris’ behavior was unlike any other I’ve seen, and I’ve been in this community in law enforcement for 32 years,” Clark County Dist. Atty. Steve Wolfson said.

“I cannot imagine anything more serious than firing a weapon from a moving vehicle into another moving vehicle on a corner such as Las Vegas Boulevard and Flamingo.”

Even in a city accustomed to spectacle, the shooting and collision were shocking.

On the night of the shooting, Harris was accompanied by three people in his Range Rover, none considered suspects, said Lt. Ray Steiber of the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department.

–Richard Winton and Kate Mather, Los Angeles Times

ammar harrisLAS VEGAS (FOX5) – The man suspected in a shooting and resulting wreck on the Las Vegas Strip that killed three people has been arrested in Los Angeles, a source told FOX5.

According to a FOX5 source, a Criminal Apprehension Team in the Los Angeles area took 26-year-old Ammar Harris into custody.

The arrest comes a week removed from the car-to-car shooting targeting 27-year-old Ken Cherry, Jr., and resulted in a fiery collision of Cherry’s vehicle and a taxi cab.

The crash killed 62-year-old cab driver Michael Boldon and 48-year-old passenger Sandi Sutton-Wasmund, of Maple Valley, Wash.

After learning of the arrest, Las Vegas Metro police Sheriff Doug Gillespie said he was “relieved”.

“[This was the result of] great police work,” Gillespie said when he was approached for comment at the Clark County Government Center Thursday.

Tehran Boldon said he was ecstatic about learning of the capture of his brother’s suspected killer.

“I’m happy he was found alive,” Tehran told FOX5. “He will now face the music for what he did.”

Harris was identified as the driver of the black Range Rover witnessed as the suspect vehicle.

Earlier Thursday, the Associated Press, citing Metro police Capt. Chris Jones, reported three women were inside Harris’ SUV at the time of the shooting.

Police believe Harris was the person who pulled the trigger in the deadly incident.



Yenesis Alfonso, left, and shooting suspect Ammar Asim Faruq Harris. (Photo courtesy of Yenesis Alfonzo family via CNN)

LAS VEGAS (CNN) — Police said Tuesday they are looking for a woman in connection with a fatal shooting and crash on the Las Vegas Strip that left three people dead, including a 48-year-old woman from Maple Valley, Wash.

Police are calling 22-year-old Tineesha Lashun Howard, aka Yenesis Alfonzo, a “person of interest.”

“She’s not considered a suspect,” said Laura Meltzer, a spokeswoman with the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department. “She’s somebody detectives would like to speak to in connection with this event.”

Police say Howard has been identified as being inside a black Range Rover at the time shots were fired from the vehicle. She was described by police as 5-foot-8, about 120 pounds and having green eyes and dark hair.

Police had previously identified Ammar Asim Faruq Harris, 26, as a suspect in the shooting. He is at large, though a black Range Rover police say he was driving last Thursday morning has been impounded.

A woman who said she is Howard’s mother told CNN that her daughter and Harris have been girlfriend and boyfriend for about a year.

In the shooting and crash, Kenneth Cherry, an aspiring rapper known as Kenny Clutch, was driving his Maserati around 4:20 a.m. Thursday when someone in a Range Rover shot at his car as it headed north on Las Vegas Boulevard. Cherry, who was shot in the chest and arm, later died at a hospital.

The Maserati continued into the intersection with Flamingo Road and collided with a taxi, which caught fire, killing cab driver Michael Boldon and passenger Sandra Sutton-Wasmund, 48, of Maple Valley, Wash.  Her death and the deaths of Boldon and Cherry have been ruled homicides, according to the coroner’s office.


Sandra Sutton-Wasmund, 48, of Maple Valley, Wash., was a passenger in the taxi cab that burst into flames in Las Vegas last week.

Sutton-Wasmund was a marketing representative for the Maple Valley-Black Diamond Chamber of Commerce.

According to the Maple Valley-Black Diamond Chamber of Commerce, SuttoWasmund joined the chamber’s board of directors in 2004 and served as board chairwoman from July 1, 2006 to June 30, 2007.  She retired from the board in 2001, but was the marketing representative for chamber membership and directory ad sales at the time of her death.

las vegas shootingLAS VEGAS (FOX5) – An armed driver of a Range Rover opened fire at a Maserati causing a multi-vehicle wreck and the deaths of 3 people on the famed Las Vegas Strip.

Las Vegas Metro police said the shooting happened just before 4:30 a.m. Thursday on Flamingo Road near Las Vegas Boulevard.

According to Metro, shots were fired from a black sport-utility vehicle to a Maserati when the vehicles were approaching the Strip.

The sports car then struck a taxi cab, police said, resulting in the taxi bursting into flames. The taxi cab driver and a passenger inside were killed, police said.

Police also said the driver of the Maserati was killed as a result of the shooting.

The wreck also involved three more vehicles at the intersection, and four others were injured, including a passenger in the Maserati, police said. Those people were sent to University Medical Center, where three were discharged following the crash, police said.

There was no word on the condition of the fourth injured person.

Metro said the black Range Rover fled the scene of the wreck. Police believe the vehicle had black rims, dark tinted windows and car dealer plates from out-of-state.

In addition, a supervisor for Desert Cab Company confirmed one of its vehicles was involved in the deadly wreck. They did not disclose a cab number or name of the driver involved in the incident.

The intersection at Flamingo and the Strip was completely shut down following the incident. There was no word on when it is expected to be re-opened.