Federal Way dad rescues 4 kids from burning apartment

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

FEDERAL WAY, Wash. — A father in Federal Way rescued his children who were trapped in a burning Federal Way apartment.

Firefighters were called around midnight Wednesday to the report of an apartment fire in the 1900 block of SW Campus Drive.

Officials said that before they arrived, the fire was too intense for the father to get the kids, aged 2 to 9, out of their rooms from inside the apartment. So, he broke out one of the windows from the outside and managed to pull each child out.

Authorities say all six family members who live in the home were taken to Harborview Medical Center in Seattle. They are all expected to be OK.

The family's cat did not escape the fire.

Fire Marshal Gordon Goodsell said the fire was caused by unattended cooking, and that the apartment didn't have a working smoke alarm. There was an estimated $175,000 in damage to the building and personal property.