TACOMA — Two separate crashes involving semi trucks snarled traffic Thursday on Interstate 5 in the south Sound. Authorities say one person was killed in the Tacoma crash.
Here’s what we know about each crash:
- Around 11:30 a.m., Washington State Patrol trooper Brooke Bova said at least one person was killed and multiple others suffered minor injuries in a crash involving a rolled semi on southbound I-5 near 72nd Street in Tacoma.
- Trooper Bova said four vehicles were involved in the crash.
- Transportation officials said to expect “major delays” for both south and northbound traffic on I-5.
- At 2:30 p.m., the Q13 News Live Traffic Map showed severe delays of 88 minutes on I-5 Northbound between Exit 120 41st Division Dr and Exit 129 74th St. Average speed five mph.
- Just a few minutes later, WSDOT reported another crash involving a semi — this time on southbound I-5 near Olympia south city limits at milepost 105. a male driver suffered minor injuries.
- As of noon, a traffic cam showed the semi blocking all southbound lanes.
- At 12:10 p.m., a tow truck had arrived at the scene.
- As of 1:40 p.m., troopers said the semi had been cleared and all southbound lanes had reopened. No significant delays were reported.