NEW YORK — President-elect Donald Trump has decided to postpone until January a press conference this week to announce his plan for dealing with potential conflicts stemming from his businesses, two transition aides confirmed Monday.
The press conference, previously scheduled for Thursday, Dec. 15, was to be his first press conference since being elected president. His last news conference was in July.
“The announcement has been rescheduled for next month,” said Trump spokesperson Hope Hicks.
The postponement is largely because of the transition’s focus on personnel, but also underscores the complexities facing Trump lawyers as they try and figure this whole thing out, one transition official said. “This isn’t exactly easy stuff,” the official said of the process.
News of the postponement was first reported by Bloomberg News.
Trump tweeted about it later Monday night.
Trump tweeted that he is leaving his businesses before Jan. 20 so he can “focus full time” on being president. He says his sons Don and Eric, along with other executives, will manage the companies, and adds, “No new deals will be done during my term(s) in office.”
Trump is promising to hold a news conference soon “to discuss the business, Cabinet picks and all other topics of interest. Busy times!”