Full coverage of Cascade Mall shooting that killed five

Family of 16-year-old E. coli patient suing Matador restaurant and its suppliers

matador

SEATTLE – The family of a 16-year-old girl is suing The Matador restaurant corporation after the girl ate some leftovers from one of the chain’s restaurants in Ballard and contracted E. coli, the family’s attorneys said in press release.

According to the attorneys from Marler Clark:

The girl’s parents, Kevin Geloff and Julie Trecee, ate at the Matador in mid-August. Later, their daughter ate some of the leftovers.

Days later, the girl grew sick and eventually developed many of the symptoms associated with E. coli. She was treated at the emergency room, but a week later was showing signs of kidney failure and she remained in the hospital until Aug. 31.

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, there is often an incubation period of 3-4 days before E. coli patients become symptomatic.

At least five people initially reported food poisoning after eating at the restaurant in August.

Since then, five more people have contracted the same strain of e. Coli, though not all reported eating at The Matador. Unidentified suppliers and distributors are also named in the lawsuit, which seeks unspecified damages.