NBA moves 2017 All-Star Game to New Orleans
NEW ORLEANS – Almost a month after deciding that the 2017 NBA All-Star Game would be moved out of Charlotte, North Carolina, due to the state’s controversial transgender bathroom law, the league announced Friday that the game will be relocated to New Orleans.
The news, which had been expected, was announced by the league in a statement Friday.
In addition to the announcement of the venue change, the NBA also said it will make a donation to help with flood relief efforts in Louisiana.
On July 21, the NBA said it hoped to have the All-Star Game in Charlotte in 2019 “provided there is an appropriate resolution to this matter.”
“While we recognize that the NBA cannot choose the law in every city, state and country in which we do business, we do not believe we can successfully host our All-Star festivities in Charlotte in the climate created by HB2,” the league said last month, referring to the state law that requires transgender people to use the bathroom corresponding to the sex with which they were born.