Download the Q13 News weather app here

Man convicted in Chandra Levy’s death won’t be retried

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

389495 01: (FILE PHOTO) Chandra Ann Levy of Modesto, CA poses in this undated file photo. Levy vanished April 30, 2001 after completing a federal internship in Washington, DC. Cogressman Gary Condit (D-CA), said to have had an affair with missing intern Chandra Levy, will speak about the case for the first time publicly August 23, 2001 in a televised interview with ABC''s Connie Chung. (Photo by Getty Images)

WASHINGTON (AP) — Prosecutors say they will not retry a man convicted of killing Washington intern Chandra Levy.

The U.S. Attorney’s office said in a statement Thursday that the office has moved to dismiss the case charging Ingmar Guandique with Levy’s 2001 murder.

According to the statement, prosecutors concluded they could not convict Guandique “based on recent unforeseen developments that were investigated over the past week.” The statement does not elaborate.

Levy’s 2001 disappearance created a national sensation after the Modesto, California, native was romantically linked with then-Congressman Gary Condit.

Levy’s remains were found in Washington’s Rock Creek Park in 2002. Prosecutors argued her death fit a pattern of attacks Guandique committed on female joggers. He was found guilty in 2010 of Levy’s murder but granted a new trial last year.