Donate to the Q13 FOX Cares and Les Schwab Holiday Toy Drive

Seahawks’ Ricardo Lockette will announce his retirement Thursday

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

ARLINGTON, TX - NOVEMBER 01: Ricardo Lockette #83 of the Seattle Seahawks waves to fans while being carted off the field in the second quarter at AT&T Stadium on November 1, 2015 in Arlington, Texas. (Photo by Tom Pennington/Getty Images)

SEATTLE – Seattle Seahawks receiver Ricardo Lockette will announce his retirement at a press conference Thursday.

Lockette suffered a serious neck injury during a 13-12 victory over the Dallas Cowboys on Nov. 1 last year.

The team confirmed the retirement to the Associated Press. The press conference will be at 1 p.m. Thursday at the VMAC.

Lockette suffered his injury while running down the field on a kickoff and being hit with a blindside block from Dallas safety Jeff Heath.

Lockette immediately slumped to the ground unconscious, and was on the turf for several minutes before being carted off the field.

Bitter, sweet #Rockette for the 12th Man who created the Monster

A post shared by Ricardo Lockette (@ricardolockette) on

Lockette underwent successful neck surgery, but later said doctors told him he’d come close to death.

Before the injury, Lockette was best known for being Russell Wilson’s target on the final play of Super Bowl XLIX, which ended up being a game-clinching interception by New England’s Malcolm Butler.