All three escaped California fugitives now in custody
SAN FRANCISCO — The two remaining fugitives from a California jailbreak last week are in custody, the Orange County Sheriff’s Department said Saturday on Twitter.
The department said details on how Hossein Nayeri and Jonathan Tieu were detained will be discussed at a noon (3 p.m. ET) news conference.
Police in San Francisco have the two in custody, according to the tweet.
A third escapee, Bac Tien Duong, 43, had been taken into custody in Santa Ana on Friday morning after he asked a worker at a auto parts store to call police.
The trio likely broke out of a maximum-security jail in Santa Ana after a 5 a.m. headcount January 22, but it wasn’t until more than 15 hours later that authorities discovered the sophisticated escape.
The inmates used tools to cut through security bars in a plumbing tunnel and into air vents. They also apparently used sheets braided into ropes to rappel down four to five stories — about 50 feet — from the roof of the jail.
It was the first time anyone had escaped from the jail since 1988.
A woman who taught classes in English as a second language at the Central Men’s Jail was arrested Thursday in connection with the escape.
Nooshafarin Ravaghi, 44, will face a charge of being an accessory to a felony, Hallock said. It is unclear whether Navaghi has an attorney.
She has denied giving the escapees tools, but has admitted giving a Google Earth image, on paper, showing the area around the jail complex, to Nayeri, according to Hallock.
Authorities had offered a $200,000 reward for information leading to the fugitives’ capture.
Orange County Sheriff Lt. Jeff Hallock said Friday that Nayeri and Tieu were spotted in San Jose a day earlier and authorities believed they were in a stolen white van. San Jose is about a 6½-hour drive from Santa Ana.