Fighting back: 5 tied to Paris attacks arrested in Germany; France hits ISIS in Syria

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.
Soldiers patrol at the foot of the Eiffel Tower in Paris on November 16, 2015 three days after the terrorist attacks that left at least 129 dead and more than 350 injured. France prepared to fall silent at noon on November 16 to mourn victims of the Paris attacks after its warplanes pounded the Syrian stronghold of Islamic State, the jihadist group that has claimed responsibility for the slaughter. AFP PHOTO / KENZO TRIBOUILLARD        (Photo credit should read KENZO TRIBOUILLARD/AFP/Getty Images)

Soldiers patrol at the foot of the Eiffel Tower in Paris on November 16, 2015 three days after the terrorist attacks that left at least 129 dead and more than 350 injured. France prepared to fall silent at noon on November 16 to mourn victims of the Paris attacks after its warplanes pounded the Syrian stronghold of Islamic State, the jihadist group that has claimed responsibility for the slaughter. AFP PHOTO / KENZO TRIBOUILLARD (Photo credit should read KENZO TRIBOUILLARD/AFP/Getty Images)

PARIS — Shock waves from the Paris terrorist attacks that killed at least 129 people and wounded hundreds more continue to reverberate around the globe.

French President Francois Hollande says his country “is at war” after three teams of gun-wielding ISIS suicide bombers hit six locations around Paris on Friday night, including a rock concert, a sports stadium and bustling restaurants.

As investigators begin to piece together the details of the terrorist operation and hunt for one key suspect who’s on the run, the French military is pounding ISIS targets in Syria with airstrikes.

Here’s the key information at this stage:

The latest

— NEW: A black Renault Clio with Belgian plates found Tuesday in Paris’ 18th arrondissement, on the north side of the city, had been rented by Salah Abdeslam, the 26-year-old being sought in connection with the attacks, police sources said, according to French media outlets.

— NEW: German police say their arrest tally in connection with the Paris attacks is now five: Two women and a man were arrested in an initial operation in Alsdorf, while two others were apprehended during a second operation in the same town.

— British Prime Minister David Cameron told Parliament he will try to convince them to approve UK airstrikes in Syria. Presently, the UK is participating only in strikes on Iraq, but Cameron said, “I will set out our comprehensive strategy for dealing with (ISIS), our vision for a more stable and peaceful Middle East. Now this strategy in my view should include taking the action in Syria I’ve spoken about.”

— U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry said a ceasefire could be in place in Syria in the next few weeks. A new coalition that includes Iran and Russia “gives us an opportunity to, perhaps, get a ceasefire in place within the next three, four, five weeks,” ending a civil war that’s been ongoing since 2011.

— Tuesday’s England-France soccer match at Wembley Stadium — the French national team’s first game since the attacks — will be an emotional affair, especially for two French players: Midfielder Lassana Diarra’s cousin was among those killed, and striker Antoine Griezmann’s sister narrowly survived.

The investigation

— Police searching two suburban Paris hotel rooms rented by suspect Salah Abdeslam found syringes that may have been used to make the other attackers’ explosive vests, French media reported. The rooms also contained pizza boxes, as well as tubes and other material that are being tested for explosives, according to the reports.

— Prior to the Paris terrorist attacks, France and its allies tried to target Abdelhamid Abaaoud, the prominent ISIS member believed to have planned the attack, a French source close to the investigation said. They were unable to locate him, the source told CNN. Secretary of State John Kerry told CNN he could not confirm the report.

— Officials have identified some of the suspects, while one remains on the loose and two remain unidentified. Abaaoud is believed by counterterrorism officials to be the likely link between the senior ISIS leadership and the militant group’s operatives in European countries, while Salah Abdeslam, a 26-year-old French citizen, remains on the run. Officials have identified three of the suicide bombers as Frenchmen Samy Amimour, Ismael Omar Mostefai and Hadfi. The newspaper, Le Monde, reports that Salah’s older brother, Ibrahim, was also one of the suicide bombers.

— Salah Abdeslam was the subject of a “routine check’ on a motorway in northwest Austria on September 9, said Karl Heinz Grundboeck, spokesman for Austria’s Interior Ministry. The routine check did not result in any further investigation.

— At least three people believed linked to Friday’s Paris terror attacks were known to Belgian authorities beforehand, Belgian federal prosecutor Eric Van Der Sypt said, identifying them as Hadfi and brothers Ibrahim and Salah Abdeslam.

— Little is known about the two suicide bombers who attacked the Stade de France with Hadfi. One may have carried a Turkish passport, according to a French senator briefed by the Interior Ministry, while the other carried an emergency passport or similar document identifying him as a 25-year-old Syrian using the name Ahmad al Muhammad, which authorities believe is a fake name.

— Belgian authorities say two men detained over the weekend in connection with the attacks are now under arrest for “attempted terrorism and participation in the activities of a terrorist group.”

The scene in France

— Hollande will visit Washington next week, Secretary of State John Kerry said.

— In a rare address to a joint session of Parliament on Monday, Hollande said he wants to extend by three months the state of emergency declared on the night of the attacks.

— He also proposed measures that would allow France to deport suspected terrorists or strip them of their citizenship, even if they were born in the country.

— French authorities carried out 128 new security raids overnight into Tuesday, officials said.

— French authorities say they have taken 23 people into custody, put 104 under house arrest and seized weapons that include a rocket launcher.

Around the globe

— Kerry called the attacks in Paris “an aberration,” further saying, “This is not normal. It will not be normal. It will not become normal.”

— French warplanes carried out a new round of airstrikes on ISIS’ Syrian stronghold of Raqqa early Tuesday. Independent activists reported seven strikes and at least three major explosions in the city. A U.S. defense official told CNN that Russia also hit Raqqa with several strikes, possibly from sea-launched cruise missiles and long-range bombers.

— The expected arrival of aircraft carrier Charles de Gaulle in the eastern Mediterranean this week will triple the country’s ability to carry out those strikes, Hollande said.

— Security will be tight when France plays England at Wembley Stadium on Tuesday.

— Belgium has raised its terrorist alert level to 3 (out of a maximum of 4), the country’s Interior Ministry’s Crisis Center said late Monday. A scheduled soccer match between Belgium and Spain, scheduled for Tuesday in Brussels, was canceled for security concerns.

— The Russian Metrojet plane jet that crashed over the Sinai last month was brought down by a bomb estimated to contain 1 kilogram (2.2 pounds) of explosives, the head of the Russian Federal Security Service said. ISIS claimed responsibility for the attack. Russia is offering $50 million for information leading to the arrest of those responsible.

— In a purported ISIS video, a fighter says the terror organization will “strike America in its own stronghold in Washington.” The FBI and Department of Homeland Security say there’s “no credible threat to the United States,” but law enforcement officials in the U.S. capital say they’re stepping up security.

— At least 27 U.S. states have said they won’t accept any refugees from Syria. The State Department said it is taking the governors’ concerns seriously, but it remains “steadfastly committed” to bringing in 10,000 Syrian refugees next year, spokesman Mark Toner said. Officials in seven states say they’ll continue accepting Syria’s refugees.