A terminally ill Star Wars fan, whose last wish to see the newest film in the saga was granted last week, died on Tuesday.
His wife Ashley made the announcement on Facebook:
“Daniel put up an amazing fight to the very end. He is now one with God and with the force. He passed in his sleep and in peace. He will always be my idol and my hero. Please hug uncle Marc for me and give Lucy lots of kisses. Rest in peace my love. This was the last selfie we ever took together. #forcefordaniel“
‘The Force Awakens’ actor John Boyega tweeted his condolences.
Daniel Fleetwood, a 32-year-old “Star Wars” aficionado who is terminally ill with cancer, got the chance to see an unedited version of “Star Wars: The Force Awakens” on Thursday, a Disney spokesperson said last week.
All involved were happy to make it happen, the spokesperson said.
It was the result of an online campaign, #ForceForDaniel, which received support from “Star Wars” actors Mark Hamill, Peter Mayhew and newcomer John Boyega in recent days.
Fleetwood had spindle cell sarcoma, a rare form of connective tissue cancer, and was told in July he had two months to live.
A “Star Wars” fan from childhood, he wanted to see the new film before he died.
The movie will be released to the public on December 18.
Hamill congratulated Fleetwood and his wife after she posted news of the screening on her Facebook page.