Warrant issued for Michael Bennett’s arrest in Harris County, Texas
Track snow and rain with Q13 News Interactive Radar

Worker dies after chlorine leak at Spokane recycling company

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

SPOKANE, Wash. (AP) — Authorities have released the identity of a 44-year-old man who died following a chlorine gas leak at a Spokane recycling company.

Edward K. Dumaw passed away after he was hospitalized in critical condition along with seven other Pacific Steel and Recycling workers exposed during the incident Saturday night, which occurred when they were crushing a large, 1-ton cylinder for scrap metal. In all more than a dozen people became sick from the chlorine, with most reporting respiratory issues.

The Spokesman-Review reports that the investigation into the incident is being handled by the Washington Department of Labor and Industries. Officials are working with the company to figure out where the cylinder came from.

At the end of the investigation, L&I will issue a report saying whether Pacific Steel broke any labor laws and may assess fines if violations are found.