Faulty fish tank sparks fire at Renton school
RENTON — A faulty aquarium pump at a Renton Elementry school sparked a small fire Tuesday morning, damaging at least one classroom.
Fire crews were called around midnight to Kennydale Elementary School in the 1700 block of NE 28th Street in Renton. Crews found smoke and flames coming from a second-floor classroom when they arrived, and quickly put out the fire.
No one was injured in the incident and the fire was confined to one classroom.
Officials said the fire caused about $40,000 in damages to the building and about $40,000 to the contents in the classroom. They believe a failed aquarium pump caused the fire.
Kennydale administrators posted a message on the school’s website, saying clean-up crews were working on the classroom and the school would be ready to open as usual on Sept. 2.