Fire engulfs Kitsap County mobile home; 7-month-old puppy dies in blaze
KINGSTON, Wash. — A fire erupted early Friday morning in a mobile home in this north Kitsap County community, killing the owner’s 7-month-old puppy and displacing three adults.
“The blaze is thought to have started inside the structure and, although fireworks has been ruled out as the cause, the investigation is still under way at this hour,” North Kitsap Fire & Rescue said.
Crews were dispatched to the Illinois Avenue home at 5:38 a.m. after multiple callers reported the structure burning. One of the home’s occupants was away, but the other two – a father and his adult son – told crews that they had been sleeping inside. The son said he was awakened by the fire’s sounds and tried to put out the blaze.
Realizing that he couldn’t extinguish the fire, the son ran to awaken his father and both escaped the blaze. However, the fire spread rapidly and they were unable to retrieve a 7-month-old puppy left inside. She died in the fire.