SEATTLE — Ahh, the first week of summer.
Unfortunately, this also means the summer roadwork and closure season. This weekend we will see plenty of road closures. While some will be minor inconveniences, others could be major headaches and long waits.
Below are a list of five roadways you will want to avoid at some point this weekend. For a detailed list of road closures, click here.
And always remember: Patience is a virtue.
Top 5 Seattle roads you need to avoid this weekend
- State Route 99 – The northbound lanes of the SR 99 through Seattle will close this weekend between South Spokane Street and Valley Street. This closure includes the Alaskan Way Viaduct and the Battery Street Tunnel. The northbound lanes will close at 10 p.m. Friday, June 20, and reopen at 5 a.m. Monday, June 23, in its new configuration (pdf 769 kb). Additionally, one southbound lane north of the Battery Street Tunnel between Republican and Thomas streets will be closed from 4 p.m. Saturday, June 21, through 5 a.m. Monday, June 23, for utility work.
- State Route 520 at times — SR 520 will close for weekend construction at 11 p.m. Friday, June 20, between Montlake Boulevard and Interstate 405. The highway will reopen at 5 a.m. Monday, June 23. During the closure, contractor crews for WSDOT’s SR 520 Bridge Replacement and HOV Program will work around the clock to place up to 10,000 tons of asphalt on the highway’s eastbound lanes from Evergreen Point Road to I-405.
- Interstate 90/ Rock ‘n’ Roll Marathon closure details — Approximately 25,000 participants will take part in the Rock ‘n’ Roll Seattle Marathon and Half Marathon beginning at 7 a.m. Saturday, June 21. The event starts and ends at Seattle Center and will close the following sections of Interstate 90 and Interstate 5:
• I-90 express lanes will close from 3 a.m. to 2 p.m.
• The left lane of the I-5 express lanes and the ramp to Cherry/Columbia and 5th Avenue will close from 8 to 10 a.m.
• I-5 mainline ramp closures:
o Southbound off-ramp to Dearborn will close from 5 to 9:45 a.m.
o Northbound off-ramp to Dearborn will close from 5 to 9:45 a.m.
o Dearborn on-ramp to northbound I-5 will close from 5 to 9:45 a.m.
- Fremont near the Fremont Fair – Fair takes place on streets within the following boundaries: First Avenue NW on the west; N 36th Street on the north; Fremont Avenue N on the east; N 34th Street/N Canal Street on the south. Streets will be closed from 1 p.m. on Friday, June 20 through 11:59 p.m. on Sunday, June 22. Motorists should expect heavier traffic on streets adjacent to the Fair.
- City University Graduation Ceremonies: 4 – 7 p.m. — Expect heavier traffic on streets on the west side of the Center before and after the event.