MEDINA — Crews plan to open the first of two new transit stops on State Route 520 this Monday. This new stop wills serve 575 bus trips daily in each direction.
The project is part of WSDOT’s Eastside Transit and HOV project that is bringing major upgrades to SR 520 between I-405 and Lake Washington.
Crews plan to finish the upgrades by the end of summer. The improvements include dedicated transit/HOV lanes in both directions, direct-access ramps for buses and carpools, roundabout interchanges, and a regional bicycle and pedestrian path along the six-lane corridor.
Here is a summary of the changes at the new Evergreen Point Road transit stop:
- The existing outside-lane stops at Evergreen Point Road is replaced with a new, ADA-accessible facility in the highway’s median, complete with stairs and elevators for rider access from the new park and ride and lidded overpass above.
- The existing outside-lane 92nd Avenue Northeast transit stops also close on Monday, when the new Evergreen Point Road median stop opens. A temporary shuttle will transport local Eastside riders between the two stops until a new median stop opens at 92nd Avenue Northeast a few weeks from now.
- A new roundabout interchange also opens Monday at 84th Avenue Northeast. Drivers should watch for signs alerting them to the new configuration.
Changes coming in the next few weeks, according to WSDOT:
- A second new median transit stop will open at 92nd Avenue Northeast.
- New direct-access ramps for carpools and transit to and from the west will open at 108th Avenue Northeast. The new ramps will serve the busy South Kirkland Park and Ride.
- New transit and HOV lanes will be complete by the end of summer, resulting in a wider and safer corridor.