TACOMA, Wash — So this week some random survey said Tacoma wasn’t one of the best spots to raise a family.
We looked at the ranking and scratched our heads because most people we know who actually live there with their families love it.
So we asked you to tell us why Tacoma is an AWESOME place to raise a family and you came through with lots of great reasons.
Below, in no particular order, are some of the highlights we heard on Facebook and elsewhere:
- Miles of waterfront!
- The grassy knoll at the Tacoma Rainiers
- Many of the businesses here are Mom and Pop places that have been here for decades.
- We get all 4 seasons, somewhat in order.
- If Tacoma doesn’t have it, a short drive in any direction and you’ll find it.
- Great children’s museum that is FREE (pay what you can)
- You can jog/walk/bike from the glass museum, around to Ruston Way & all the way into Pt. Defiance.
- Tons of street fairs
- The gorgeous views
- Hidden trails to walk
- Close knit feel, you almost always end up knowing someone everywhere you go.
- Hilltop Artists program – glassblowing for middle schoolers.
- Blue Mouse Theater.
- Point Defiance Zoo has an actual zipline now.
- Old architecture & the cobble stones alleyways.
- Random art from official installments at parks or buildings to the street art stenciled all over or the knit bomber or the streets signs project and monkeyshines.
- This is a creative city. It takes a little grit to make a pearl.
- Mary Bridge Children’s Hospital.
- The combination of military and universities result in some really interesting activities, arts, shopping.
- Tacoma School of the Arts and SAMI (Science and Math Institute) are both public high schools with really specific, amazing programs.
- The cost of living – you can get more for your money, especially in terms of homeownership.