PIX 11 New York – Nearly 15,000 pounds of hummus sold nationwide, including at Trader Joe’s and Target, are being recalled due to possible listeria contamination.
The following dips are affected by the recall:
- Target Archer Farms Traditional Hummus 10-ounce with “use by” date June 11;
- Target Archer Farms Traditional Hummus 2-pound used in Archer Farms Mediterranean Veggie Hummus Wrap and Archer Farms Hummus Veggie Snacker with “use by” dates June 11;
- Target Archer Farms Roasted Garlic with Roasted Garlic Tapenade 17-ounce with “use by” dates of June 9 and June 12;
- Target Archer Farms Roasted Red Pepper with Roasted Red Pepper Topping 17-ounce with “use by” date June 12;
- Giant Eagle Chipotle Hummus 8-ounce with “use by” dates May 7 and May 14;
- Giant Eagle Garlic Hummus 8-ounce with “use by” dates May 7 and May 14;
- Trader Joe’s Edamame Hummus 8-ounce with “use by” dates April 28, April 29 and May 9;
- Trader Joe’s 5 Layered Dip Small 11.5-ounce with “use by” date April 15;
- Trader Joe’s 5 Layered Dip Large 24-ounce with “use by” date April 15;
- Tryst Yellow Lentil Hummus with Sunflower Seeds & Apricots 10-ounce with “use by” dates June 10 and June 12
Lansal, Inc. – which is doing business as Hot Mama’s Foods – issued the voluntary recall this week after inspectors with the Texas Department of Health discovered the possibility for contamination while testing 10-ounce containers of Target Archer Farms Traditional Hummus.
Symptoms of listeria include fever, muscle aches, diarrhea or other gastrointestinal problems, according to the federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
Pregnant women, young children and the elderly are most vulnerable to the bacterium, which could be deadly to those with weakened immune systems.
A listeria infection can cause miscarriages and stillbirths in pregnant women, according to the CDC.
No illnesses have been reported in connection with the recall, Lansal, Inc. said.
Customers are urged not to eat the hummus. The dips can either be thrown away or returned to the store for a full refund.