Seahawks win at San Francisco for first time since 2008

Man suffers 2nd, 3rd degree burns in Lake Union boat fire

boatfire

This boat caught fire in Lake Union Thursday morning when an electrical spark from a vacuum ignited spilled gasoline fumes. (Photo: Seattle Fire Dept.)

SEATTLE — The 33-year-old owner of a boat in Lake Union suffered second- and third-degree burns Thursday morning when an electrical spark from a vacuum ignited spilled gasoline vapors and created a flash fire, the Seattle Fire Department said.

Firefighters responded to calls of a boat on fire around 9:30 a.m. in the 2700 block of Westlake Avenue North. Medics found a man with second- and third-degree burns to his hands, arms, torso and neck. He was taken to Harborview Medical Center. His condition was not immediately known.

The Fire Department said the badly burned man jumped into the lake to escape the blaze. His girlfriend also jumped into the lake and was uninjured.

The fire caused around $55,000 in damages to the boat, officials said.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s