Survivor: ‘I had a mouth full of mud and a nose full of mud and we were under everything’

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

Mudslide survivor Robin Youngblood

OSO, Wash – Survivors of Saturdays deadly mudslide are recounting incredible stories of what it was like to be swept under by the massive wall of debris.

Robin Youngblood told Q13 FOX News she heard the roar before she saw anything.

“It was huge and I’ve never heard anything like that and I looked out the window and I saw this huge wall of mud,” said Youngblood.  “[It] must have been 20 feet tall and the next thing I knew it hit the house.”

The woman said her home was violently shoved off its foundation with her still inside it.

“We went moving and we were tumbled and I had a mouth full of mud and a nose full of mud and we were under everything,” said Youngblood.

The whole thing she said was over in about a minute and a half.

“I didn’t know if I was going to make it,” said Youngblood.  “I was choking.”

Thinking with lightning speed, Youngblood was able to dig her way out and find breathable air.

“When we pulled ourselves out of the house there was the…I think it was the washing machine or the dryer and it was kind of stable so I sat on it and my friend sat on the refrigerator on the other side,” said Youngblood.

She said the two couldn’t initially get to each other because the area was so unstable.

“Three little kids from the neighbors that didn’t get hit came running and said ‘what’s wrong?’” said Youngblood.  “I told them not to get in the mud because I could tell it would drown them.”

Instead she said she told them to run back to their house and have their mother call 911.

“Call for a helicopter because I knew there was no way they could get us,” said Youngblood.

The waited roughly an hour before they were airlifted to safety.  Emergency crews said Youngblood only had a broken finger and some bruises.

“They went right back in and got a little boy named Jacob and couldn’t find the rest of his family,” said Youngblood.

Rescuers brought the 4-year-old boy to Youngblood who took off his wet clothes and wrapped him up because she said he was freezing.

“I told him I was a grandma,” she said.  “We got him here and then his mom came to the hospital but she still hasn’t found her other children.”

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s