‘Doomsday Preppers’ felon pleads not guilty to gun charge

TACOMA — Tyler Smith, 26, a felon who lives in Buckley, was charged Thursday with unlawful possession of a firearm after he was seen firing two rifles on the reality TV show ‘Doomsday Preppers.’

“If you threaten your neighbors and commit a crime on national TV, you’re likely to be caught,” said Pierce County prosecutor Mark Lindquist said after the charge was filed.

In addition to the TV show footage, Pierce County sheriff’s detectives located evidence at the defendant’s residence, including ammunition, receipts for ammunition and a date-stamped photo of the defendant holding a rifle in 2012, Lindquist said.

As a felon, Smith is prohibited from possessing firearms.

Smith pleaded not guilty to the gun charge in Pierce County Superior Court Thursday. Bail was set at $30,000.

On Wednesday, when Smith was arrested, Pierce County Sheriff Paul Pastor said he couldn’t believe what Smith had done on national TV.

“Did he really think we wouldn’t notice that he had done this? He was seen on television possessing, firing, holding a firearm and indicating that it was his intention to rob his neighbors, not defend his family in the event of something extreme, not to stay home and defend what he had, but to go out and take things from someone else,” Pastor said Wednesday.

DOOMSDAYSmith appeared in an episode of the National Geographic Channel’s ‘Doomsday Preppers’ reality show.

“We’re not in it to stockpile,” Smith says of what he plans to do in the event of a Doomsday event. “We’re in it to come take what you have, and there’s nothing you can do to stop us.”

Smith claimed to be a part of a group of survivalists known as Marauders, and he made it clear he was armed.  But, as a felon, possession of a firearm is against the law.

“A convicted felon and you go on television committing another crime, possessing firearms. What are you thinking? Did he really think that we would not notice that he had done this. We noticed and we arrested him today” on gun charges, Pastor said.

Smith’s episode of Doomsday Preppers was filmed at an old ranch house on the Sumner/Buckley Highway in Buckley.

“Strange.  That’s the only thing I can say about it, strange,” neighbor Bob McDonald said.

“I thought it was ridiculous.  Yeah, real ridiculous,” neighbor Gordon Wozeniak said.

Wozeniak and McDonald were two of smith’s closest neighbors; in proximity, that is.

“They did a lot of shooting on the weekends from time to time, and a few big bangs, but he never bothered me.  Bothered the wife more than me,” Wozeniak said

Other than that, they say, Smith seemed like a normal guy.

But, it didn’t sit well with either man when they heard Smith on the show say he planned to steal from his neighbors.

“Well, that’s fine, but I may outgun him. I’m not sure. I wasn’t worried about that, no,” McDonald said.

Smith is also a convicted sex offender. Officials are now checking on his status relative to that.

If convicted of possession of a firearm, he could get up to a year in prison.  But if he is charged on the federal level, he could face up to five years in prison.

22 Comments to “‘Doomsday Preppers’ felon pleads not guilty to gun charge”

Krista said:
    January 15, 2014 at 11:34 PM

The news report says Tyler Smith is a child sex offender, I don't see him listed on the Pierce County Registered Sex Offender website. Why is that??? I think the public, especially those in the area have the right to know that there is a sex offender living in their neighborhood.

sv1g said:
      January 16, 2014 at 12:35 AM

According to the Tacoma News Tribune story, he is a level one offender. Level ones are not on the public registry because they consider them unlikely to re-offend. He was convicted of inappropriately touching a drunken 14 year old girl.

j said:
    January 16, 2014 at 12:07 AM

More examples of crap television

sv1g said:
    January 16, 2014 at 12:37 AM

Not really surprising. I saw the show and couldn't believe how stupid this guy was. Another good example of why inbreeding is bad…

ted said:
      January 16, 2014 at 9:38 AM

Soooo,…you’re the one watching.

Someone Somewhere said:
    January 16, 2014 at 5:23 PM

probably gonna try to say the gun was photoshopped.

Dez said:
    January 16, 2014 at 5:59 PM

5 years wouldn't be near long enough! There is a reason I am in favor of the death penalty and he is a perfect example!

Joe said:
      January 17, 2014 at 6:09 PM

Don't worry, the first time he steps through someone's door and trips over that cord/motion sensor… Or tries to rob a few offduty cops…. Haha, too stupid to live, indeed. His condition is terminal. Hmm, wasn't there a Bruce Campbell character who said something along those lines?

Ozz-Master said:
    January 17, 2014 at 8:06 AM

I thought it was funny when I watched the episode. I thought let this dummy try and get my stuff, normally I would shoot to let you bleed out on th eground but this guy I would give him one bullet to the head. He looks like a dufas and I am being as nice as I can on here. But he is famous again!!!

joe momma said:
    January 17, 2014 at 9:26 AM

haha idiot

Guest said:
    January 17, 2014 at 10:03 AM

Yeah I saw this one too. He was a complete disgusting moron. He made chest armor out of sometihng like a grate and a radiator. Idiot. Then he had someone shoot him to test it. I hope he doesn't reproduce…and by the way….Marauders…..thanks for letting us know. We'll be better prepared now.

Willie said:
    January 18, 2014 at 6:48 PM

Effing dummy.

BillyBob&TheGang said:
    January 18, 2014 at 8:55 PM

Prime examples of the entitlement mentality & moral decline that will ring in "Dooms Day" upon America!

Instead of taking responsibility for themselves, choosing to prepare themselves & their family (EXAMPLE: purchasing $20 worth of extra food & supplies every week) they find nothing wrong with sitting on their arse's, awaiting a catastrophe so they can go out & start robbing, raping & pillaging.

I think "The Moroners" better suits this bunch…..

Alan said:
    January 19, 2014 at 5:46 AM

I would drop that pervert bastard on my front door step. I have him out gunned !!!

AnonJohn said:
    January 19, 2014 at 10:20 AM

Actually, if he is convicted on the federal level, he faces up to ten years in prison, not five.

Guest said:
    January 19, 2014 at 7:31 PM

Good. I watch this show because every now and then, they have people with new ideas on how to be better prepared natural disasters, so I saw the episode this guy was in back when it aired. All I could think, the entire time, was "this guy has a lot more than one problem." On national television, this man shared his prepping plan, which was basically no more than "If something bad happens, my friends and I will break into your house, rob you, and even kill you if we have to. We have tactical methods planned already so you won't be able to defend yourself." Maybe some prison time will get his head around the fact that life isn't some post apocalyptic video game.

bow hunter said:
    January 31, 2014 at 7:53 PM

What about this no firearm is he also in possession of a homemade body Armor. Was he not supposed to have that being a felon? Also what about endangered of unborn child and wife?
    What about practicing medicine without a license?
    Everything that he’s dead and is a comp list on the TV show good day not be considered terrorist?

Rick said:
    March 26, 2014 at 8:16 AM

This guy gives the entire preparedness community a bad name.