Train dangles over I-5 after derailing south of Tacoma
Donate to the Q13 FOX Cares and Les Schwab Holiday Toy Drive

Apartment building evacuated after carbon monoxide leak detected

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

TACOMA — Residents in a large apartment building were evacuated early Friday morning when carbon monoxide monitors detected a gas leak, the Tacoma News Tribune reported.

Carbon Monoxide Poisoning Gaining More Attention

From Getty Images

A resident in the 16-unit apartment complex in the 300 block of North Tacoma Avenue called 911 around 1 a.m. after returning to his apartment and smelling natural gas. Fire crews called to the scene detected a high reading of carbon monoxide, and the building was evacuated.

Fire crews shut off the building’s gas after they determine a malfunction with the boiler caused the leak, the News Tribune reported.

Twenty-two building residents stood outside for at least an hour while fire crews worked on the building. All were allowed back in, and the apartment building is slated to replace its boiler.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s