Merry Christmas signs stir up controversy in Redmond

REDMONDSIGNREDMOND- They popped up over the weekend near Redmond City Hall, the library, and several local churches and schools:

Green signs with white lettering saying ‘It’s OK to say Merry Christmas’ followed by several bible verses.

It’s the second year the signs have appeared around the city of Redmond and no one seems to know who put them there.Because the signs are placed in  the right of way, Mayor John Marchione says they are considered free speech and will not be removed.

Some people we spoke with find nothing wrong with them, while others say they are offensive, particularly one placed right below the sign for City Hall.

We’ll have more on this story on Q13 FOX News at 4:00 and 5:00.

9 Comments to “Merry Christmas signs stir up controversy in Redmond”

Chrystal Johnson said:
    December 2, 2013 at 2:02 PM

Didn’t people leave England and start this country based on freedom if religion and to get away from taxes?????? Did I miss something? It will ALWAYS be Merry Christmas to me!

kate said:
    December 2, 2013 at 2:48 PM

It's my right of free speech and my right of freedom of religion to say "Merry Christmas" and that's what I always say…right along with "please" and "thank you" It is the media that makes way too much of all this-always perpetuating some incident into a bigger thing than it really was to start with.
    Most people, no matter their religion, still participate in Christmas-I've been around the world and observed that first-hand. We can't walk around in a bubble of political correctness. Then no one will be speaking at all. If someone says "Oh I don't celebrate Christmas" I just say "OK, Happy Holidays" or whatever they tell me they do celebrate.

guest said:
    December 2, 2013 at 4:13 PM

it's sad that we've come to this where there is even a need to post these signs.

armpit said:
    December 2, 2013 at 7:47 PM

Poor leftys, always looking for a way to get their feelings hurt

Sam said:
    December 2, 2013 at 9:07 PM

Well, let’s see… When I look at my calendar on Dec 25 I see that it says Christmas Day. hmmmm. Seems to make a little sense to me!

Bonnie knight said:
    December 2, 2013 at 10:35 PM

Oh good grief get over it. If you don't like what it says don't look at it. I am offended by many things I hear but I understand how important our freedom of speech is. It's encouraging to see people standing up for their right to express their opinion regarding the most basic of Christian beliefs.

george said:
      December 3, 2013 at 4:25 AM

it makes me sick and kind of sad when people look at me and say happy holidays no let’s get it right its merry christmas not merry x miss or happy holidays it’s christmashope everyone out there has a joyous christmas and may god bless you to never want to view

Betty said:
    December 3, 2013 at 1:42 PM

Do we say Happy New Year or do we say Happy Holidays for the new year? Of course we say Happy New Year sooooo what is wrong with saying Merry Christmas? That is what it is! Religious or not it is Christmas! Santa Claus or not it is Christmas. Stop being so picky and let people say what they want. MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE!!

April Hicks said:
    December 4, 2013 at 7:14 PM

Merry CHRISTmas!!! Thats what its always been and always will be…..why do we always have something to disagree about and change things that have been for so long…if you celebrate Christmas then you are celebrating the birth of Jesus if not then go on about your business!