Car prowl victim posts letters to thief: ‘Please be a decent human’

VANCOUVER, Wash. (KPTV/Portland) — A Vancouver car prowl victim hopes if the thief returns and sees the letters she posted on poles all over her neighborhood, he or she may have a change of heart and return her belongings.

Kristina Bissonette said she went out to her SUV Wednesday morning on Creston Avenue near Main Street and found items from her glove box scattered all over the front seats. Someone had popped the lock and broken in. As she took inventory of the situation, she realized she had left her purse and a laptop inside. They were both now gone.

bissonetteInside her purse was her son’s passport.

“I burst into tears,” she said.

Bissonette filed a police report, then she put down all her thoughts in a letter. She posted that letter on poles all over the neighborhood.

It says, in part, “I can’t tell you how much damage you have done. I am a mother of 2 and I work 2 jobs just to make ends meet. I am a good person. You didn’t steal from some jerk that doesn’t care what happens to you. You stole from someone that would have spent her last $2 to buy you lunch.”

Bissonette even offered to pay the person $20 that she was saving to get a haircut in exchange for her items back. She said her house is a rental and her mother took out a home equity loan to pay for her car.

“Please be a decent human, and return what you took,” she wrote.

She said the hardest part is the laptop belongs to a friend. That friend is currently out of the country on vacation.

“I don’t care about my stuff,” she said. “I can figure that out.”

bissonette1Bissonette said they recently moved from southeast Portland to Vancouver, hoping the area might be safer. However, she said her mother, who lives a few blocks away, has also been victimized by car prowlers twice in recent months.

In those cases, they broke in and simply got away with coffee stand punch cards.

“I’ll definitely be more careful about remembering to take stuff out of my car at night,” she said.

7 Comments to “Car prowl victim posts letters to thief: ‘Please be a decent human’”

guest said:
    November 29, 2013 at 7:57 PM

a thief is NOT a decent human being, who is she kidding?

The World is Ending said:
    November 29, 2013 at 8:22 PM

These are not decent human beings, they are worthless scum bags that deserve every bad thing that happens to them, if the world is lucky they will walk off a bridge or cliff in the near feature.

Kit said:
    November 30, 2013 at 6:00 AM

Thieves have no heart or soul because their brains are numb from drugs.

adam said:
    November 30, 2013 at 8:32 AM

Blame it on the bleeding hearts. If we actually punished these people rather then blame their childhood or their surroundings we’d have less crime. They’re bad people because that’s how they are. Everyone has the choice to be decent or not. We need to stop letting off these people just because of little informalities. The people defending them have never experienced crime or are to stupid to realize the reality of things.

Slam1263 said:
      November 30, 2013 at 9:06 AM

We need to extend the 'three strikes' law to property crimes.

Give these people a ten year time out, and watch the crime rate plummet.

holdeninwa said:
    November 30, 2013 at 1:38 PM

Holidays can bring the blues. If you need #humanservices sans #resources Dial 211. No #need to steal from #neighbors

Lesen Sie die uebersicht said:
    December 6, 2013 at 5:46 PM

Very great post. I just stumbled upon youjr blpog and wished to mention that I have truly loved surfing
    around your blog posts. In any case I’ll be subscribing in your feed and
    I am hoping you write again very soon!