SEATTLE — A 46-year-old man was charged with second-degree murder Wednesday in the beating death of a homeless man whose body was found under a blanket near 4th Avenue South and Edgar Martinez Drive S. on Sept. 28.
The defendant, Ceasar Rafaela-Conde, and an accomplice allegedly assaulted the victim, Alvaro Ruiz, in a brutal, unprovoked attack, the King County Prosecutor’s Office said. The victim died from his injuries after being struck repeatedly in the head and torso. The investigation is ongoing.
The defendant remains in jail with bail set at $500,000. He will be arraigned on Nov. 6.
During the investigation, Seattle police detectives learned that Ruiz had been in a dispute with two other men about a month before he was slain, an SPD statement said. Detectives arrested Rafaela-Conde Saturday evening at Rainier and S. Bayview St.
Detectives also have information about the second suspect in the case and are searching for him, police said.