National & World News

10 dogs die while being transported to training center in Texas

dogFORT BLISS, Texas — Ten dogs that were being transported across country to a canine training center at Fort Bliss, Texas, died and another two were sickened when the air conditioning in the vehicle malfunctioned, the El Paso Times reported.

The surviving dogs were immediately given medical care, Fort Bliss officials told the Times. Five other dogs were unaffected in the Monday incident.

The dogs — German shepherds and Belgian Malinois — were supposed to be housed at the Canine Center El Paso, which is behind Fort Bliss’ 1st Armored Division headquarters and is a canine training facility used by U.S. Customs and Border Protection. The center is not run by the Army or Fort Bliss, the Times said.

“This is pretty horrifying,” Fort Bliss spokesman Maj. Joe Buccino told the El Paso Times. “I think everyone that heard this story is pretty upset by it. Those dogs were essentially in an oven. You don’t have to be an animal lover to be sick about this.”

Ken Licklider, owner of the Vohne Liche Kennels in Denver, Ind., which owned and transported the dogs, called it a “tragic accident.”

“We take dogs to California and all over the world,” he said. “We are very experienced in transporting dogs. This was simply a tragic accident.”

10 Comments to “10 dogs die while being transported to training center in Texas”

Niki said:
    August 21, 2013 at 7:59 PM

So how much time passed before anybody checked on the well being of these animals? Nobody checked on these dogs until they were dying or dead? Potty breaks? water? food? Professional animal transport my Ass!

Ellen said:
    August 21, 2013 at 10:47 PM

This is really tragic. Makes me sick to my stomach! You probably won't be in business long. I know I wouldn't trust my dogs to you!

SkippingDog said:
    August 22, 2013 at 3:29 PM

Every truck transporting food or produce has a temperature alarm to prevent the loss of the shipment because of a refrigeration or air conditioning malfunction. What in the world is wrong with either the kennel or the driver in this case? Don't they even give these fine animals as much care and attention as any normal transport company would give refrigerated food?

Someone needs to go to jail over this.

Linda Hutchinson said:
    August 22, 2013 at 4:23 PM

Could someone please tell me why this dirtbag lowlife piece of scum was not ARRESTED & thrown in jail????????????????????Everybody go on there website Vohne Liche Kennels & Facebook page & let them know how you feel I just did bet he's not happy with what I said

Penny said:
    August 23, 2013 at 10:50 AM

That photo is of my dog, Chesney

barry Boulton said:
    August 23, 2013 at 12:54 PM

Not an accident at all but pure negligence why where the animals not being monitored during the journey. Hope the company loses its contracts for transporting animals.

Bob Dye said:
    August 26, 2013 at 5:46 AM

This would have saved the dog: http://www.acek9.com/k9invehicledetector/Forget_M

Explanation: http://www.acek9.com/auto_on/autoon.htm

News stories about the system:
    Des Moines Police Department installed the Ace K9 Hot-N-Pop Pro system http://www.desmoinesregister.com/article/20130722

x0z/-/index.html

K9 Device Demonstration http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XecE5YEvV4

These videos should help you to know what we do: http://www.fdnntv.com/K9-Arson-Team-Series-Part-4

Dog training plano said:
    September 2, 2013 at 2:04 AM

This post is absolutely fantastic. I've often sent those silent apologies myself – I really just didn't know any better. I love the title of this post and the idea behind it. Well said! http://brookslabradors.com/training

www.google.com said:
    March 7, 2014 at 8:20 PM

Hi there very cool web site!! Guy .. Beautiful .. Amazing .. I’ll bookmark your site and take the feeds additionally?I’m happy to find so many helpful information here within the post, we’d like work out extra strategies on this regard, thanks for sharing. . . . . .