Seattle businesses start ‘gun free zones’

SEATTLE — It’s an ambitious and controversial attempt to get firearms out of businesses after recent spikes of gun violence in the metro area. And the new “gun free zone” campaign pushed by Washington Cease Fire also has the support of Mayor Mike McGinn.

nogunssignSeveral businesses in Capitol Hill have put stickers near their building’s entrances, making it clear that firearms aren’t welcome. Shop owners said they have the right to say who can and can’t enter their stores. But not everyone thinks this idea will help reduce gun crimes.

“Every gun should be melted down and make a musical instrument out of it,” Sedat Uysal, who owns Café Paloma in Pioneer Square, said. Uysal plans to keep people who own guns out of his store. “They should take their guns to shooting ranges instead of public places,” he added.

The campaign was launched Monday at Oddfellows Café in Capitol Hill. The area is a scene where gunfire shook the neighborhood last month.

“It’s important to take steps like this,” Café Racer owner Kurt Geissel, who supports the gun free zone, said.

He knows the reality of gun violence — five people were gunned down in his café in May 2012.

“If it prevents one establishment, one person to have to not go through what we’ve gone through, it would be worth it. It may or may not work. There’s gotta be a dialogue — it starts a dialogue,” Geissel said.

Opponent think the conversation stops at the Constitution.

Ian Osborne always carries a gun and says he and other law-abiding gun owners are the key to ending violence.

“If an establishment doesn’t allow that then, well, you’ve got to respect that,” Osborne said. “Then one day when some mad man comes in and shoots up the place and murders everybody in there – well? They’ll learn their lesson I guess.”

The new push is in stark contrast to other businesses like Starbucks that does allow gun owners to open-carry inside their stores. As for Osborne, he won’t stop packing because of a sign on a window.

“I conceal carry. I’ll continue to conceal carry, but if an establishment asks me to leave I’ll have no choice,” he said.

The city of Seattle said they’re not spending any tax dollars on the guns free zone program. Businesses who want to be a part of this campaign can sign up online with Washington Cease Fire.

Businesses that currently participate in being gun free are:

• Smith
  • Southern Street Kids
  • Sweatbox Yoga
  • The Saint
  • Totokaelo
  • Zoe

14 Comments to “Seattle businesses start ‘gun free zones’”

Michael said:
    August 19, 2013 at 4:07 PM

those signs are dumb dont they have those in schools? look what good they do lol if im told to leave a store thats ok they wont get my business and i will tell every one humanly possible to not shop there

Robert said:
      August 19, 2013 at 5:55 PM

Why don't they put those signs on the Mayor's Office and official car and we can relieve a few officers to work the streets instead of providing mayoral security?

Gee, while we're at it, perhaps the White House, too.

Dan said:
    August 19, 2013 at 4:44 PM

I don’t carry a gun but I can promise if I see that sign in the window I will not do business in that store.

guest said:
    August 19, 2013 at 5:00 PM

are these people really so STUPID that they believe this would stop anybody that might be coming in to shoot up the place? Oh wait, I can't open fire here, guns aren't allowed!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ha ha

Robert said:
    August 19, 2013 at 5:53 PM

Thank you for doing this, Mayor McGinn and Seattle businesses. Of course, Mayor McGinn, you left your own security outside in your car while you made the announcement, right? Now at least on the fewer and fewer occasions I visit that cesspool I'll know where I am NOT safe.

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy. Any officer (not an appointed police chief) will tell you that when seconds count, the police are only minutes away. In my particular case, there have been times back in the day that I worked the entire county alone. And from one end to the other at 100 miles per hour took more than 35 minutes.

guest said:
    August 19, 2013 at 7:43 PM

Excellent…these stickers will help me to avoid supporting businesses that don't support our rights.

hey said:
    August 19, 2013 at 8:00 PM

The war on drugs was very effective as well…

Elizabeth Burson said:
    August 19, 2013 at 10:32 PM

I am not personally a gun owner or a cwp carrier, but I'd rather be next to someone that is when I am in public.

Do you believe that if, when Maurice Clemmons (with an agenda) walked up to the door of Café Racer in Lakewood, he would have seen a "Gun Free Zone" sign, that he would have thought, "Oh, I can't carry a gun into this establishment", he would have simply gone home?

Sandy Hook is a public elementary school with "Gun Free Zone" signs on every window. Did that deter Lanza from taking the lives of little children?

If you were sitting in the Century Theater in Aurora, Colorado, another "Gun Free Zone", wouldn't you rather have been sitting next to someone (or maybe two or three someones) that were legal carriers of side arms? They would probably have saved your life, and likely several others.

A sign is nothing more than a sign. Law abiding, gun carrying citizens (should they choose to continue patronizing your business), will lock their guns safely in their cars. The "bad guys" will not comply with your request.

Jfog said:

Quinn’s
    Smith
    Southern Street Kids
    Sweatbox Yoga
    The Saint
    Totokaelo

I am sure criminals will thank you for the list of places that can be easily robbed now.

Jrita said:
      August 21, 2013 at 4:30 PM

LOL! I've never heard of almost all of these places. Go ahead, let them put a sticker in the window. I'm sure a lot of gun owners don't go in there anyway. Their loss!

Alabubba said:
    August 21, 2013 at 12:31 PM

There are no such things as "Gun free Zones", Only places where Law Abiding Citizens are Prohibited from Protecting Themselves.

KellyKafir said:
    August 22, 2013 at 3:44 AM

So…. let me see if I understand this… a business owner can DISCRIMINATE against a person who has a gun and can choose to not let them in their store… BUT if you own a business and don't want to bake a cake or sell flowers to rump rangers… you cannot discriminate? So should we be expecting Bob Fergeson to sue all these businesses for discrimination? Oh, I see, only certain kind of discrimination is allowed in this commie state. Born and raised here but, seriously, ashamed of this state!!

EJPII said:
    August 22, 2013 at 12:29 PM

Excellent. Now one will know which businesses to boycott and which do not qualify for aid in the event they are attacked by criminals. Let the police handle it.