Montero accepts 50-game suspension, reports say
SEATTLE — Once a heralded prospect, Seattle Mariners Jesus Montero reportedly accepted a 50-game suspension Monday for his alleged involvement with PEDs.
The Seattle Times and other media outlets reported Montero is one of 12 players accepting a suspension for their alleged involvement with the Biogenesis Anti-Aging Clinic run by founder Anthony Bosch. Montero has been reported listed in Biogenesis records since February, but has denied any connections between himself and the doping agency. However, Montero reportedly told Tacoma Rainiers staffers that he would not accompany the team on an upcoming road trip Monday, the Tacoma News Tribune reported.
According to baseball reporter Ken Rosenthall, the players facing suspensions are Nelson Cruz (Rangers), Jhonny Peralta (Tigers), Everth Cabrera (Padres), Francisco Cervelli (Yankees),Cesar Puello (Mets), Fautino De Los Santos (Padres), Fernando Martinez (Yankees), and others.
Alex Rodriguez, the aging New York Yankees third baseman, is expected to be suspended through 2014. He has previously said he will appeal the ruling.
Montero, once a top-catching prospect, has struggled mightily this season, being demoted to the Tacoma Rainiers and undergoing surgery for a torn meniscus in his knee. If he chooses not to appeal his suspension, he will miss the remainder of the 2013 season.