Ooooh that smell: Push to outlaw public pot smoking in Seattle

SEATTLE — Something smells in Seattle, and it could lead police to start cracking down on public pot smokers.

marijuana-joint“The smoke and the smell is coming up to my kids’ rooms,” said Rachelle Hung, who lives in the University Park neighborhood. “They’re asking me what the funny smell is and I don`t feel I should have to explain.”

Since voters in Washington state made pot legal last year, people have  been lighting up all over the city — and the smell can be overwhelming.

“It’s definitely out of control,” said Kalu Davis, who drives bus routes from the South End to Northgate.

He said every day he sees people smoking pot at bus shelters, and when they board his bus “they blow it right into my face, and, because of that, I get light-headed. At that point I then have to stop the bus. I can`t continue any further because I`m inebriated from the secondhand smoke.”

Those are the kind of complaints that Seattle City Attorney Pete Holmes has been hearing since he helped sponsor the initiative that led to legalization. He now wants a new city ordinance aimed at the public use of pot.

“It`s important that, while we celebrate the incredible shift that Washington voters put into law last November, we stay sober-minded about this,” said Holmes.

The state law already prohibits pot smoking in public. If the City Council passes a new ordinance, the city would get at least half of the money from the $103 fines.

Holmes also hopes it discourages people from lighting up their now-legal weed in the great outdoors.

“This is about regulating marijuana, it`s not about turning this into the Wild, Wild West,” Holmes said.

19 Comments to “Ooooh that smell: Push to outlaw public pot smoking in Seattle”

esco said:
    July 26, 2013 at 5:16 PM

What's that smell?
    It's the smell of democracy, the people have spoken.

DNA said:
    July 26, 2013 at 7:02 PM

"“They’re asking me what the funny smell is and I don`t feel I should have to explain.”
    What a horrible parent. It is YOUR JOB as a parent to explain EVERYTHING. How is your kid going to know about the world? Pot is not just going to go away. If you don't want your kid smoking pot, that's fine, but pretending it doesn't exist is, well, kind of STUPID!

mee said:
      July 26, 2013 at 11:31 PM

I agee to an extent. We dont know the ages of the kids and they may not be ready to know the truth. Kids in my life know of it only as medicine and been around it forever but not all families are like that. We do have to respect, to an extent, their lifestyles too. However, comparing to cigarettes, this whole issue of explaining is the same

Chris said:
    July 26, 2013 at 7:36 PM

Personally I find cigarette smoke more offensive. Why don't we regulate that? I see no difference. In fact one would argue that the crap they put in cigarette smoke is worse. In my opinion cannabis should be treated no different than the cigarette smokers. But in the end sadly it is just that "regulation".

NAVYTOWN said:
    July 26, 2013 at 9:53 PM

Folks, just continue to smoke marijuana wherever you like. The Police officers can't give tickets to more than a few smokers here and there. As long as noxious cigarettes can be smoked in public, marijuana should be treated the same. I would MUCH rather smell pot than tobacco.

mee said:
    July 26, 2013 at 11:26 PM

Inebriated from 2nd hand pot smoke?!?! BS! I'm in smoke filled rooms not smoking myself and there are NO effects. Just another pissed off loser trying to spread lies! Idiot!

what ever said:
    July 27, 2013 at 2:28 AM

funny thing is before 502 was passed it was illigal to smoke in public any ways and people did it all the time, just like they will now and in the future , laws will not stop people from smoking pot EVER !

Bill said:
      July 27, 2013 at 7:14 AM

I call BS. I live in Seattle and on a daily basis I see no difference in peoples use of marijuana since legalization of recreational use. I also have had it up to my neck with but “The children BS”. I never agreed to be the moral or ethical compass for someones children. Its called parenting and many “parents” should focus on being better parents instead of worrying about other peoples lives. And obviously the bus driver must suffer from some sort of physical condition which should bring into question them being cleared to drive a bus fool of people because normal people don’t suffer those side effects by simply smelling cannabis.

Joe Camel said:
        July 27, 2013 at 12:44 PM

I smelled cannabis once and I liked it :)

BILL K. said:
    July 27, 2013 at 1:24 PM

This is just propaganda put forth to thew "news" media by the police and "criminal justice" people to make pot seem as dangerous as real drugs. I live downtown seattle and I see tons more people SMOKING CRACK right in the open in broad daylight ! Where is the outrage of you CONCERNED PARENTS over the CRACK SMOKERS ?

Anonymous said:
    July 28, 2013 at 5:11 AM

Bus driver Kalu Davis says “They blow it right into my face, and, because of that, I get light-headed.” This is a total lie. maybe this guy needs to see a doctor to find out why he is dizzy. Parents need to parent instead of complaining to the world. Try telling them the truth. Unless you think that your children are not intelligent enough to understand.

That's What You Get said:
    July 28, 2013 at 11:05 AM

Too late! Can't put THAT genie back in the bottle. This city will now reap the rewards of their insanity. Pot smoking in public will NEVER STOP, nor inside apartment complexes, restaurants, etc. This is what liberalism brings, NO concern for others health and well-being, only me, me, me getting high, high, high! HAHAHA Seattle! You made your beds that now stink like pot 24/7!