National & World News

Teen rejects plea deal in controversial same-sex case

(CNN) — Eighteen-year-old Kaitlyn Hunt, charged with a crime for having sex with a 14-year-old girl, rejected a deal Friday that would have required her to plead guilty to child abuse, according to Hunt’s attorney.

Hunt was charged with two felony counts of lewd and lascivious battery after the parents of the 14-year-old went to authorities. Hunt’s family says their relationship was consensual, but in Florida a person under the age of 16 is not legally able to give consent to sex.

If Hunt is convicted, she could go to prison for 15 years — a reality that touched off a maelstrom of controversy across the country this past week. The case became widely known when Hunt’s family began an online campaign in defense of their daughter.

teen-charged-for-dating-14-yr-old

Photo courtesy of CNN

The plea deal from the Indian River County prosecutor’s office would have required Hunt to plead guilty to felony child abuse, spend two years “on community control,” which usually involves strict supervision, followed by one year of probation. According to the plea deal document, during her probation, Hunt would have had to agree to stay away from the 14-year-old, and to provide her probation officer with immediate access to her Internet and telephone communication.

Read the full offer

For the complete CNN story, go here.

13 Comments to “Teen rejects plea deal in controversial same-sex case”

moe said:
    May 25, 2013 at 5:39 AM

I was just going to say that Equal Rights = Equal Punishment. She is 18 an adult it is disgusting consensual or not that she would engage in a relationship with a 14 year old. I don't care if you straight or gay or whatever. She should be treated equally by the law.

Esco said:
      May 25, 2013 at 11:15 AM

Exactly, no exceptions period.

mario0911 said:
      May 26, 2013 at 12:16 PM

This… I'm sorry but her being gay doesn't matter. She still broke the law… *shrugs*

jeff said:
      September 24, 2013 at 1:03 PM

Some are more equal than others. If this pervert was of the male gender none of the options given this person who wants to make a point would be offered.

Linda tauer said:
    May 28, 2013 at 7:11 AM

I am sorry, but i think the laws in this country have gotten out of control…if it was consensual it should be a matter for the family to deal with, not the law. Unfortunately many a teenage male finds himself on the registry for just such behavior and that to os a travesty and waste. Time for families to step up and handle family matters.

Chris said:
      May 28, 2013 at 12:51 PM

The family did step up twice and asked her to leave their minor daughter alone. She ignored those orders and in fact helped her to run away at one point.

This girl thinks that because she is gay and that the 14 year old "looked older" than they should not be subject to child rape laws. I doubt there would be little discussion or any type of Facebook fan club to free a male who was 18 having sex with someones 14 year old child.

Terece said:
    May 29, 2013 at 11:51 AM

she belongs in jail like any other child molester!

cwl said:
    September 13, 2013 at 7:39 AM

LOCK HER UP!!! If she raped a 14 year old boy you defenders would not be here!!!

whoob-whoob said:
    February 16, 2014 at 11:16 AM

we have made gays expect a freeride. we let them get away with their agenda and never are allowed (PC) to debate without cries of intolerance.
    seems funny to be called intolerant by those who wont tolerate a 'common sense debate'!
    this girl should be subject to the laws of ANY 18yr old and she chose her lifestyle, so we shouldnt show ANY pity!

Heather M. said:
    February 19, 2014 at 9:53 AM

It was my understanding that she just turned 18 when arrested, therefore 17 when she started dating the younger one. I dunno about you people, but a 3 1/2 year age difference isn't that scandalous to me. I was 19 when I met my 35 year old husband, and we have two beautiful children in our lives because of it. Now if this woman were in her 20's, I could understand the vitriolic attitudes.

Heather M. said:
    February 19, 2014 at 10:02 AM

And I might add, when I was 16 and dating a 22 yr. old man, my father, a butcher by trade, simply explained can didly, while holding a meat cleaver, that he was exceptionally skilled at separating bones from their joints. In other words, my family was involved and present the duration of that relationship. They didn't feel the need to bring in law enforcement. .

Jesse said:
    February 26, 2014 at 8:04 PM

She really shouldn't get prison for this. If she was 20 or over, she should probably be punished, but I don't see why this is such a big deal. I knew a lot of freshmans who dated seniors when I was in highschool.