Search for missing Marine last seen in Seattle

SEATTLE — Right after high school, Jonathan Pablik enlisted with the U.S. Marine Corps. The 17 year-old from Gardena, Calif., shipped out to Iraq and two years later, he deployed to Afghanistan.

JONATHANPABLIK1It was during that tour when Pablik received a medal of valor after a Humvee carrying his squad members was hit by an IED.

“It had three or four men inside, two passed away.  He was able to save two and did that all right in the middle of cross fire through all that,” said Sandy Pablik, Jonathan’s mother.

Pablik says when her son came home, he wasn’t the same and that he suffered from nightmares and paranoia. To cope, Jonathan enrolled in film school and was working on a movie about PTSD.

Sandy says her son was doing well for a while, but started using drugs and last month and came to Seattle to stay with friends.

“When you have substance abuse as an additional feature then that’s like gasoline to the fire. There are further inhibitions and it’s really a dangerous and potent mixture,” said Dr. Richard Adler, an expert in PTSD and traumatic brain injury.

This week, a new paper in the journal JAMA Psychiatry shows soldiers who suffer concussions in combat are more prone to suicidal thoughts than others. Sandy Pablik says her son suffered three of them, and thinks he could be going down that path.

Jonathan abandoned his dog at a Safeway in Duvall, took down his Facebook page, and turned off his cell phone. She worries what could happen next.

“I don’t know what could trigger him and if those triggers come on the wrong way how he can snap. If he snaps I don’t know what the outcome will be if he’ll hurt himself or if he’ll hurt others. That’s my biggest concern,” said Pablik.

Jonathan is 23 and was last seen wearing a black hooded leather jacket. He has two visible tattoos on his right arm. One that says “Lcpl Eric Ward,” which he got in memory of his friend killed in combat. Pablik was actually staying in Redmond with his family. The other tattoo is the number “310” on his chest.

Sandy says two marine friends of Jonathan’s tried to take him to the VA last Wednesday for help and was told her son actually jumped out of their moving car to get away. Her son is an avid hiker so he may be camping somewhere locally as well.

If you have seen Jonathan or have any information on his whereabouts, contact the Seattle Police Department’s Missing Person’s Unit at 206-684-5582.

8 Comments to “Search for missing Marine last seen in Seattle”

It doesn't matter said:
    May 20, 2013 at 8:30 PM

Come back home bro, you still have alot to accomplish, your duty Isn’t done here, think about all the goals you have yet to accomplish, if you survived through a war, you can easily overcome what ever issue you may be facing right now..

WE HAVE YOUR 6

justme said:
    May 20, 2013 at 8:41 PM

From one Soldier to another Marine… we appreciate your service and sacrifice.

Sue said:
    May 20, 2013 at 9:54 PM

Tried to call the number listed. Not the Seatte Missing Persons. I'm pretty sure I saw him hitch hiking on the Pacific Ave entrance to South Bound I-5 in Olympia this afternoon. He looked thinner and did not look like he was ok.

PhunkyMunky76 said:
    May 21, 2013 at 7:12 AM

This guy might have just simply checked out. A lot do, I've got PTSD fairly badly and I generally just stay to myself. I think the mom going on and on about how she doesn't know if her son will "snap" or not is a bit overbearing IMO although it could just simply be a desperate attempt at finding her son and making sure he's OK and in that case I can't blame her.

There was an article on KOMO the other day about the guys out in Forks that have done exactly that, checked out. I can't say I haven't considered doing that myself but my wife and kids keep me from doing so. That responsibility has kept me plugging along regardless of how I'd felt or was experiencing at the time. For me I say it's been a lifesaver as I do love my wife and kids more than I care for myself. But for some guys things are just too much to be able to look at things that way.

A concerned friend said:
    May 21, 2013 at 2:27 PM

Jonathan Pablik is one of the nicest people that you could come across. He was my classmate and is a good friend of mine for a while now and I just don't want him to come across as a 'danger' to society. Yes, he is trained and will not go down without a fight but he knows the value of life.
    We've all wanted to disable our Facebook accounts, not answer calls, and sometimes feel like we need to take a moment to ourselves and breathe alone. I guess what I'm trying to say is that he might have wanted to drop of the radar but I don't think that he is as big of a threat to society as the article is almost leaning toward. I'm scared that I don't know where he is or what he's up to but I don't want the world to think that he is a threat to anyone. We don't need to bring him in for questioning or put him in a holding cell or anything like that… We just want to know that he's okay.

Buddy who cares said:
    May 21, 2013 at 2:37 PM

He's a good guy. He's probably just trying to take a moment to gather his thoughts.

Jeanne said: