NBA’s Stern: Decision on Sacramento Kings still weeks away
NEW YORK — NBA Commissioner David Stern said Wednesday that league officials are “not even close” to a decision on whether the Kings will stay in Sacramento or be sold to Chris Hansen’s group and moved to Seattle.
Following an NBA finance and relocation meeting that lasted more than four hours Wednesday, Stern said the decision is at least two to three weeks away.
The commissioner had previously hinted a few weeks ago that the decision wouldn’t take place at the Board of Governors meeting Thursday and Friday. The NBA also said officially Tuesday that there would definitely not be a decision made during the Board of Governors meeting.
Board Chairman and Spurs owner Pete Holt told reporters that the idea of an expansion team is “not off the table,” despite Stern saying in the past that it wasn’t an option.
Stern declined to give details on the committee meetings Wednesday. However, when asked about the possibility of the NBA expanding to a 31-team league, Stern said there are “no current plans to expand.”
Meanwhile, the Sacramento Bee said the Sacramento investors trying to buy the Kings and block the team’s move to Seattle submitted a last-minute bid either Monday or Tuesday for the team. Mayor Kevin Johnson referred to that bid as a binding offer. Sources said it matched the Seattle group’s initial offer, but did not match an increased late-hour bid by Seattle.
The Bee reported that “a source close to the situation” disputed the mayor’s reference to a binding bid. The person, who wasn’t authorized to speak publicly, said Sacramento’s bid would require the Maloof family, which controls the team, to terminate its deal with Seattle investor Chris Hansen even before the Sacramento group negotiates a final, binding offer.
According to the Bee, NBA spokesman Tim Frank confirmed the league received the Sacramento bid late Tuesday.