Sticky situation: 20,000 gallons of glue-like liquid spill on I-5

FEDERAL WAY, Wash. — A semi slammed into a disabled minivan on Interstate 5 near Federal Way Wednesday night, seriously injuring a woman and spilling more than 20,000 gallons of a glue-like substance all over the highway, authorities said.

The Washington State Patrol said the accident happened in the northbound lanes of I-5 near Federal Way just before 7 p.m. Wednesday. Federal Way is about 23 miles south of Seattle.

The minivan was disabled in lane two of I-5 when the truck rear-ended it and both vehicles ended up on a hillside along the highway. The 56-year-old woman in the disabled minivan suffered life-threatening injuries and was rushed to the hospital, the State Patrol said.

i5The driver of the truck was not injured.

The glue-like, non-toxic substance spilled from the truck and forced the closure of three lanes of I-5 for hours, backing up traffic for miles.

The three lanes would likely remain closed until about 3 a.m. Thursday while the mess was being cleaned up, the State Patrol said.

8 Comments to “Sticky situation: 20,000 gallons of glue-like liquid spill on I-5”

david quintana said:
    April 10, 2013 at 10:17 PM

I was able to drive around this van I saw this whole accident on my rear view mirror. I drive a mini copper I'm sure if I got sandwich between the van and the truck I would have die.

Kati Simmons said:
      April 12, 2013 at 9:43 AM

Hi David,
      I'm working with the truck company involved in this accident trying to find out as much information as possible about what happened. Would you mind calling me so I could ask you a few questions about what you saw? My direct line is 503-243-2957

Colin said:
    April 10, 2013 at 10:27 PM

My wife drove by the accident and said she saw the truck driver was being given a breathalyzer, true?

Lena said:
      April 10, 2013 at 11:58 PM

Any time there is a accident of this nature a breathalyzer is given. This is standard, on part of the police and his company.

Patrick said:
    April 11, 2013 at 12:24 AM

That 20,000 gallon number seems high, fuel trucks can only hold 11,000 ish gallons and that's a tanker truck, not a flat bed with a bladder on top.

john said:
      April 11, 2013 at 12:25 PM

very true pat

nwtrucker said:
    April 12, 2013 at 6:24 AM

Their could have been 20k gallons. The product was non-toxic, so a larger quantity could be transported. It likely doesn’t weigh as much per gal as fuel, so the number of gallons that could legally be transported could be that high.