Local News

A fiery end to 20-hour standoff in Hoquiam: Suspect killed, house burns

HOQUIAM, Wash. — A 20-hour police standoff with a gunman barricaded inside a house ended early Thursday when SWAT teams shot and killed the suspect as the house caught fire and burned.

“I heard about a dozen, 15, 20 shots,” said neighbor Chris Ricketts. “I looked out the window and the house was fully inflamed.”

The standoff began Wednesday morning, when Hoquiam police officers were attempting to serve a felony arrest warrant out of Sacramento, Calif., at a home at 2108 Aberdeen Avenue in Hoquiam for Rick Marlowe, 49.

Police had been at the home on Tuesday and arrested the Marlowe’s girlfriend on a warrant for fraud. Officers also had a warrant for Marlowe’s arrest, but he gave officers a fake ID.

When police returned Wednesday morning, Marlowe opened fire, and two bullets grazed the arm and hip of Hoqiuam police Sgt. Jeff Salstrom, who was treated at a hospital and released within a few hours.

“He would have gone back to the scene yesterday if procedure would have allowed, but once he was involved, he, of course, had to stand down,” the officer’s father, Jerry Salstrom, said. He “spent the day at the police station following the incident.”

After the shooting, police and SWAT teams surrounded the house and a negotiator was brought in to try to talk the gunman out of the house. The man refused to budge.

The suspect, who police said had a military-style helmet, gas mask and handgun, shot out the camera of a police robot that approached the house. And with his gas mask, he was able to withstand several rounds of tear gas. He also shot at the officers surrounding the house, police said.

“It was apparent he was elevating the aggression towards the officers, so at that point we pulled back,” Grays Harbor County Sheriff’s Chief Criminal Deputy Steve Shumate said.

Night fell, with no change in the situation.

At 6:30 a.m. Thursday, smoke began to billow from the second floor of the house and police saw the gunman moving.

“The subject came to the front door of the residence armed with a firearm,” Shumate said.  “After repeated commands to drop the firearm, the individual was shot by SWAT team members and has subsequently died as a result of that.”

Investigators were sifting through the charred remains of the home and diving into the past of the gunman, who appears to have had many aliases from several Western states.


The Washington State Department of Licensing released a photograph of the man suspected to be Marlowe Thursday. Investigators said the name associated with the picture was

a fictitious name.

Hoquiam suspect

Suspect photo


13 Comments to “A fiery end to 20-hour standoff in Hoquiam: Suspect killed, house burns”

    Dan said:
    March 28, 2013 at 7:40 AM

    Police said flames erupted from the home just after 6:30 a.m. and moments later, the suspect came out the house with a gun. Officers exchanged fire with the gunman and the gunman was wounded.

    Hoquiam police Sgt. Brian Dayton said the suspect "was down" outside the house, but it was not clear if he was dead.

    You may want to tell Bill Wixey that Q13 isn't getting the story correct.

    Eric said:
    March 28, 2013 at 10:24 AM

    Looks like his exit interview with the swat team…

    *puts on sunglasses*

    got a little hot under the collar.

      Brian said:
      March 28, 2013 at 6:59 PM

      Love the CSI Miami reference! (Theme music playing in head)

    Redeemed said:
    March 28, 2013 at 11:42 AM

    Everyone knows what happened here, anytime a cop is shot and the suspect is held up, they toss their tear gas canisters in knowing they are incendiary devices knowing the outcome will be the shooters death. This is clearly an act of retribution on their part, if they wanted too they could of waited him out.

    Just check the historical record, when they can get away with it they will take justice into their own hands, especially when one of their own is assaulted.

      OlyPen said:
      March 28, 2013 at 9:23 PM

      They launched gas in there for 20 hours and all the sudden it sets a fire? Not likely. The suspect had every opportunity to surrender peacfully, but he chose not too. His fault. It appears to me the suspect poured gas in the house and lit it. The fire started upstairs…fire burns upward. This fire burned downward very quickly. To me that indicates there was an accelerant that caused the fire to spread rapidly.

    Redeemed said:
    March 28, 2013 at 11:45 AM

    Why is Q13 removing my post, Guess the 1st amendment only applies to opinions they like

    Redeemed said:
    March 28, 2013 at 11:46 AM

    Q13, you can't suppress the truth, it is clearly obvious what happened.

    Gomer Pyle USMC said:
    March 28, 2013 at 4:04 PM

    Lies all lies

    Block Watcher said:
    March 28, 2013 at 7:24 PM

    Too bad about the house, but the suspect reached the end of his visit to Washington.

    zhengyu said:
    April 26, 2013 at 10:48 PM

    thank you

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s