Hoquiam standoff continues many hours after cop is shot

By Steve Kiggins

Q13 FOX News reporter

HOQUIAM, Wash. — A police officer was shot Wednesday morning as he was serving an out-of-state warrant on a wanted fugitive. Police then surrounded the house of the gunman, and the standoff went on for hours.

The standoff was continuing at 10:30 p.m. Police said the gunman shot a robot that they had sent to the front of the house.

The incident began when Hoquiam police Sgt. Jeff Salstrom, while attempting to serve an arrest warrant, was shot at about 11:15 a.m.; his injuries were non-life threatening and he was later released from the hospital.

The suspect’s girlfriend, who had also been wanted on an arrest warrant, was taken into custody Tuesday and booked into the Grays Harbor County Jail, but her partner was not found. Salstrom went to the house in Hoquiam to arrest the man Wednesday, when the shooting broke out.

salstromPolice and SWAT teams had the house surrounded on the east end of Hoquiam. A command post has been established and a two-block perimeter set up around the home and a negotiator was at the scene.

Police have the first floor of the home secured and law enforcement sources said the suspect is on the second floor. The suspect reportedly told police that he has a gas mask.

In November 2012, Salstrom’s K-9, Enno, was diagnosed with cancer. During tie eight years they worked together, they were credited with 56 arrests. People from as far away as Chicago, New Zealand and Florida donated to a fund to help Enno receive an experimental treatment, but it didn’t work and Enno was euthanized in mid-February. He was the city’s only K-9 unit. Salstrom is not working with a K-9 at this time.

8 Comments to “Hoquiam standoff continues many hours after cop is shot”

Kenneth e. said:
    March 27, 2013 at 4:35 PM

Lets all hope they get their man, and put an end to all of this.

Frankie said:
    March 27, 2013 at 6:07 PM

Prayers for officer Salstrom for a fast recovery!

Kat said:
    March 27, 2013 at 6:19 PM

Best wishes for Officer Salstrom.

Julie Fletcher/Mansfield said:
    March 27, 2013 at 10:34 PM

Jeff, I am so happy that you are o.k. I had the experience of working with you in the past. I have seen some beautiful things you have done, Christine Fairbanks, I wish you a speedy recovery, Julie Fletcher. Old Dispatch Friend. Take care God Bless You.

Sharon said:
    March 27, 2013 at 10:35 PM

What is wrong with this man? Is he nuts? Get him out of there before somebody else gets hurt! Prayers for our first responders that have to put up with this crap!

Eileen Brunetti said:
    March 27, 2013 at 10:45 PM

So glad Officer Salstom is ok..so sad about his dog, however. Sounds like it's been a tough couple of months for the Salstom family. Our prayers are with you!!

Anh said:
    May 2, 2013 at 8:44 AM

Hey there I am so grateful I found your blog, I really found
    you by accident, while I was researching on Aol for something else, Nonetheless I am here now and would just
    like to say kudos for a tremendous post and a all round enjoyable blog (I also love the theme/design), I don’t have time to read through it all at the minute but I have saved it and also included your RSS feeds, so when I have time I will be back to read a great deal more, Please do keep up the excellent job.

chaussure christian louboutin femme said:
    March 24, 2014 at 10:42 PM

Wow that was unusual. I just wrote an really long comment but after
    I clicked submit my comment didn’t show up.
    Grrrr… well I’m not writing all that over again.
    Regardless, just wanted to say excellent blog!

chaussure christian louboutin femme