2 baristas busted in Kent for allegedly selling more than coffee

bikini baristaKENT, Wash. — More bikini baristas are in trouble with the law.

Kent police said Thursday that two women at a coffee stand in Kent were seen committing lewd acts in front of undercover officers or on undercover cameras.

At the Twin Peaks Smokin’ Hot Java, they advertise a little bit of everything – including special days such as “miniskirt Mondays, tease me Tuesdays, wet T-shirt Wednesdays, thigh-high Thursdays and fantasy Fridays.”

A lot of neighbors are disgusted.

“Nobody needs that in the neighborhood. Coffee stands are great but nobody needs that kind of … exposure; Ha,” neighbor Nancy Obrigewitsch said.

Along with the daily specials, Kent police said some of the baristas were serving up a lot more for customers who paid with tips that ranged from $10 to $25.

After complaints from the public about lewd behavior, the Kent Police Department special investigation unit started a five-month undercover investigation. They used a surveillance camera and visited Twin Peaks drive-thru to build a case against two baristas.

A 23-year-old woman was arrested for prostitution; a 19-year-old was arrested for violating the city of Kent’s Adult Entertainment Ordinance.

“I think it just makes it seem cheap, just makes all coffee shops look bad,” neighbor Janice Mosich said.

At Twin Peaks, nothing can be seen from the street. But as children walk by, again, the message is clear.

They’re “basically saying, come to this area and this is what you can find — and that’s not what it should be about. You go to get coffee;  it should be coffee, not nudity,” said another neighbor who identified herself only as Cat.

The problem is certainly not new.

Four women were arrested for prostitution and for exposing themselves at a coffee stand in Everett in 2009.

Then just last week, Everett police arrested two more baristas.

“I don’t think it a good environment, got to clean it up and get it out of here,” Mosich said.

As part of their investigation, Kent police also visited other bikini barista coffee shops around the city and found them all to be in compliance with city ordinances. But they stress their investigation is not over.

69 Comments to “2 baristas busted in Kent for allegedly selling more than coffee”

Kelly said:
    February 28, 2013 at 3:35 PM

Waste of our tax dollars!

oscar said:
      February 28, 2013 at 3:54 PM

i completely agree.

RKS said:
        February 28, 2013 at 11:13 PM

That investigation is taking a bit longer. Possibly another 8-12 months may be needed for "evidence" gathering.

Joel Stoner said:
      March 4, 2014 at 10:05 AM

Complete waste of tax dollars for sure. Why are police spending 5 months investigating a ticketable offense? Lewd behavior is a ticket crime, not an arresting crime. Why because women get offended when strong women use their looks to help them make money, then they whine, and complain until the City says STFU we'll fix it.

dennis said:
    February 28, 2013 at 4:13 PM

who are the ones making the complaints? IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT, DON'T LOOK, simple as that folks. How about if the cops go fight real crime like rapists and the bastards who keep breaking into homes and cars! I agree, waste of tax dollars and time!

brian said:
      February 28, 2013 at 9:25 PM

why not look at the owner that only gives them 5% of the till they dont even get payed an hourly wage come on IRS look at that how would u know if they did lewd acts unless u payed for them.

Kentmom said:
      February 12, 2014 at 3:13 PM

It is kinda hard NOT to look when this stand is on a very busy road near several elementary/middle schools/ and a high school. I pass it while I take my kids to school everyday. My oldest girl asked me what they sold there. She knew it was not just coffee.

Scotty said:
    February 28, 2013 at 4:32 PM

For as liberal a state that we are… we sure are prudes when it comes to our bodies. We can have people ride around Fremont on bikes naked as their birth day, but when someone does it and receives a ten spot… suddenly they're whores and criminals.

What a joke.

Yours Truly said:
      February 28, 2013 at 11:12 PM

No shit man. LIGHTEN UP PEOPLE. The stip clubs are much worse than a petty "coffee stand" Besides, it's not even nude anyway… skimpy close sure, but NOT NUDE. So, quit hating and start appreciating :)

guest said:
    February 28, 2013 at 4:41 PM

I think a coffee stand is not the place for this. why aren't they working at a strip joint where all you perverts can gawk and masterbate not in plain view of the public.

fiz said:
      February 11, 2014 at 1:51 PM

Your just afraid your hubby is looking!

Jeff said:
      March 24, 2014 at 7:57 AM

I've never seen anyone masturbating at a strip joint LMAO

Not A Dumbass said:
    February 28, 2013 at 4:45 PM

Ridiculous. The cops in Washington state are idiots, how about trying to capture someone who is actually dangerous, like a child molester, murderer, rapist? But nope, they focus on girls who pull a Janet Jackson. This just proves that one doesn't need a brain to be "enforce the law".

Oops said:
      February 28, 2013 at 4:46 PM

…"to enforce the law" *

Jeff said:
      March 24, 2014 at 7:58 AM

I agree completely. I want them to protect my family from thieves and muggers. Not girls in bikinis.

Dano said:
    February 28, 2013 at 5:35 PM

I generally wouldn't care and complain that the cops were wasting their time, but the fact that a minor was involved changes things.

Kyle said:
      February 28, 2013 at 5:54 PM

different stand. that was a couple weeks ago

Chrhistine said:
    February 28, 2013 at 6:04 PM

sorry, but i for one dont appreciate driving by and having my youngsters say " HEY LOOK, I see that ladies boobies!" If you want to look at titties, go to a titty bar, simple as that.
    And that fact that a 16 year old was preforming these acts? the place should be shut dow,. and the owner arrested for pimping out his barristas

Dave said:
      February 28, 2013 at 8:37 PM

What do they say at the beach?..These girls are NOT standing in the windows topless!Get your facts straight.

Dave said:
      February 28, 2013 at 8:41 PM

And by the way don't get me wrong.I certainly don't think a 16 year old should be working there but I don't have a problem as long as they are 18+

Jeff said:
      March 24, 2014 at 8:00 AM

My 5 year old daughter thinks it's hilarious that the girl at the coffee stand forgot to put her pants on LOL

Rebecca Rios said:
    February 28, 2013 at 6:39 PM

What if the police would have stopped by that coffee shop and EXPLAINED the law to the girls first,… if they would have taught the others the correct way to behave when dressed scantily.All men will ask,its human nature woman do not make as much as men,this is one asset we have that could actaully be used occasionally to our benefit.So now these hard working NOT PROSTITUTES but ladies are in debt and now a burden to us instead of a working member of society.No they should not have been as easily swayed by the dollar but as a single mom knows every penny counts and maybe thats all that gal was thinking at that instant.I can GAURANTEE they didnt enjoy doing it what if that were your daughter.

funkydunkey said:
      January 27, 2014 at 10:59 AM

oh yeah they enjoyed it i am saddened to hear i have to take my business elsewhere…

Suzie Holcomb said:
    February 28, 2013 at 7:08 PM

Seriously? A 24 year old and a 19 year old need to have someone explain the difference between good and bad behavior? And you want us to believe they didn't know it was against the law? Come On! And while there arresting these girls I hope they are also arresting the men that are asking them to show a little extra and they'll give them a big tip. These "Espresso Stands" need to be all relocated where they belong…inside the srtip clubs.

brian said:
      February 28, 2013 at 9:35 PM

how bout the owner that dont pay them look at that u cant live off 5% of a till who runs a company that way anyways why not pay them a hourly wage n maybe they wouldnt need to show extra for more money

woww said:
    February 28, 2013 at 7:24 PM

Kinda strange how all the comments against the bikini baristas are coming from FEMALES…

Crow said:
      February 26, 2014 at 8:05 AM

And probably ugly women that no one would want to see in a bikini, let alone topless. What did these women do when they were breast feeding their children, poke them in the eye first so they wouldn’t see mommy’s evil tits? Ignorant prudes.

cowcharge said:
      March 7, 2014 at 12:17 PM

And blaming the men, of course. LOL.

Sheltiebrat said:
    February 28, 2013 at 9:42 PM

I am curious why it took 5 MONTHS, lol

brian said:
      February 28, 2013 at 9:46 PM

cuz it wasnt the same girls every day

Sheltiebrat said:
        February 28, 2013 at 10:04 PM

I am pretty sure the stable of employees was not that large, and once they could prove there was in issue…. they have to go keep looking?

5 months just seems overkill to catch two employees.

Chris said:
          February 13, 2014 at 6:51 AM

Where do I get that job. Look at naked girls for five months and drive around to other bikini coffee shops to make sure the are not naked. Real tough undercover assignment.

Cynthia RT said:
    March 1, 2013 at 12:34 AM

I hate these stands and want them GONE! I almost called the police on one because the sign on the street said "come in to get your hug and kiss'. Surely no business can ask this legally from it's employees, nor do I think it is legal to offer to the public! It is such a disgusting, shameful and degrading business. It is horrible this is allowed here or anywhere for that matter.

ᙓᔕᙅO said:
    March 1, 2013 at 3:52 AM

Sex sells, money talks and hopefully the coffee's good too.

josh said:
      March 1, 2013 at 7:04 AM

they are just trying to make a living just like anyone else. the city should leave them alone.

josh said:
        March 1, 2013 at 7:10 AM

other women are just mad because they dont look as good as these girls

Guest said:
          April 9, 2014 at 5:56 PM

I feel more sorry for the men that go to these shops. To have to PAY someone to give them attention because obviously no one else will. Makes me wonder why….

Sally Mander said:
    March 1, 2013 at 9:20 AM

Men are a pathetic species.

rena said:
    March 1, 2013 at 10:50 AM

People can get coffee anywhere. If they are offended by this type of barista then get it somewhere else. I do feel that anytime a minor is involved it is a problem. That is another story.

Yuck Fu said:
    March 1, 2013 at 11:51 AM

@Sally Mander… You sound like a man hating dyke.

Tiffany said:
    March 1, 2013 at 12:44 PM

I agree.. men are pathetic.. it goes beyond a choice of going there or not. It’s demeaning to ALL women. Go take a look at your own wife or gf and get aroused.. we dont need these stands around!

Tiffany said:
    March 1, 2013 at 2:12 PM

Im a woman and most u men would think im attractive.. doesn’t mean im going to put my body on the line so random men can get off… all men are idiots! I also don’t want my daughter around this sort of thing thinking its alright… most u men agreeing with these stands r just too ugly to find ur own women. Go home and read your swimsuit issue.. keep it off our streets!

overeazie said:
    March 1, 2013 at 2:42 PM

its obviously apparent why these establishments exist, and why they are so popular. SEX SELLS, just dont SELL SEX. those women chose independently to act their way, and a man is always going to watch, irregardless.

end of the day, you cant stop this problem, not as long as there are dirty men out there, and women with self esteem issues.

the police need to focus on larger problems though, such latinos committing hit and runs, murder, you know, the stuff our tax dollars need to be going towards. not some undercover cop to get a cheap show then prosecute them. start the budget cuts there.

Tim said:
    March 1, 2013 at 4:29 PM

how about electing a new police chief!!

my opinion said:
    March 2, 2013 at 8:14 AM

Honestly, I think some laws need to be changed. It should it no way be considered prostitution or indecent exposure if these girls are giving a little show, especially when all adults are ok with it. I have been to this stand before, the windows are tinted out, and unless you are at the drive up window you cannot see a thing in there. I know for a fact that this particular coffee stand does not have any minors working at it, that was a different one in everett. I think it's wrong that a lot of you are judging these women for what they do. If it isn't affecting you, you shouldn't care. If your husband or boyfriend is going there, maybe you should think about why, and maybe re-evaluate what's wrong with yourself and why they feel the need to go look at other beautiful women. These women are harmless, and just living their lives. Have none of you ever been in college before and gone streaking and done some crazy things in your lives? Come on, people, stop being so judge mental, there are way worse things going on in the community. Maybe next time your house gets broken into, you'll wish the police were more focused on catching them, because more than likely, they'll just take a police report and let it be, because they would much rather do easy jobs, like watching bikini baristas.

Joe Pederson said:
    March 4, 2013 at 8:09 PM

Do the women posting here really think its appropriate for the Kent police to use tax payer money to investigate this for 5 MONTHS !

Sure, they need to be limited according to the law, however I would rather post a cop at the schools or bars than do this.

The city violent crime rate for Kent in 2010 was higher than the national violent crime rate average by 44.71% and the city property crime rate in Kent was higher than the national property crime rate average by 76.92%.

In 2010 the city violent crime rate in Kent was higher than the violent crime rate in Washington by 86.15% and the city property crime rate in Kent was higher than the property crime rate in Washington by 40.42%.

Lisa said:
    March 16, 2013 at 8:14 PM

How sad it is that anyone is defending this trash. Wanna be a whore? Go stand in the slums where you belong. As for only woman against this? Maybe its because they are the ones who have common sense when it comes to things like this. Get the trash off the roads and in the garbage where it belongs! Stop buying sex and tramps would stop selling it. CLOSE THESE PLACES DOWN! I would rather be thirsty than get free water even: from one of these nasty places. Jesus! The thought of that touching my coffee after where its hands have been. Really? That is a BIG NO! thank you. My girls are clean. Dressed. Sweet. Have my coffee ready and get big tips for it. Think about it … Time live up to the EVERGREEN STATE not the ALWAYS BARE ASSED PLACE.

Anna Banana said:
    April 19, 2013 at 11:28 AM

Chubbs girlfriend Katie is a bikini barista. She makes over $400 per day in tips. All day she flashes her breasts and p*ssy and watches men masturbate for her. That's what this business is about – it's not about men innocently enjoying looking at young women in swimsuits – men ALWAYS want more! And in order to stay competitive, these girls have to "outperform" the girls at the next bikini barista stand, or they'll see their money drop big time. Don't want to expose yourself or watch him jerk off? Then he'll just go down the road to the stand that does. Plenty of 'em.
    You can also see Katie (and her retard boyfriend Chubbs) at the various medical cannabis markets, too. She's the idiotic-looking blonde skank with the oil pipe in her mouth 24/7, and he's the cross-eyed retard in the corner playing with a Tonka toy or whatever to keep him busy in between oil hits.

ryan menges said:
      March 3, 2014 at 7:19 AM

quit snitching! and u know all of this because?????

Twin PERKS Espresso said:
    June 4, 2013 at 9:34 AM

I own Twin PERKS (not Peaks) Espresso not this place. It seriously pisses me off that this owner thought if she used a name close to mine that she could use my company’s clean reputation to further her companies trashy business. I am so sick of these type of smut peddlers tarnishing what should be a clean flirty idea. Go back to stripping lady, we dont want your kind representing us!

Jessica said:
    June 21, 2013 at 11:40 AM

Smokin' Hot Java is an entirely different coffee establishment. The LLC is located in Washington, but the shop is in Gresham. Would you please correct the article to read "Twin Peaks" ONLY and exclude the Smokin' Hot Java name. We are not in any way affiliated with Twin Peaks. Thank you.

Guest said:
    January 20, 2014 at 6:05 AM

I can't tell you how many times I have been to King County with my daughter to be swarmed by a bunch if naked hippies democrats on bicycles. What's the difference? All these women complaining about this is ridiculous. No body is forcing these women to do this. You would do it too if you didn't look like every other typical Washington state overweight, cropped hair with mom jeans woman.

I have never been to these stands because it's pointless to get off on something you can't or don't want to touch but I have been by them numerous times and I have never even so much as seen any girl inside. I have even walked by one and couldn't see anything. You have to drive up or walk right up to the window.

Settle down ladies and quit using your emotions to make your decisions.

Fuck your opinion said:
    January 21, 2014 at 11:16 AM

Of course look at that the only people the media interviewed were two vaginas. Nancy Obrigewitsch and Janice Mosich. How convenient you interview two cunts that will bad mouth a place. First. cunts always badmouth cunts no matter what it is cloths, make up, how they dress so there’s that. 2nd. of course you interview the ignorant old bitchs down the block that have nothing better to do than bitch. Guarantee these cunts are just bitter cuz they know there old nasty coochs are dried up n got nothing on these bitchs. I bet these baristas could fuck every customer n still have a more presentable vagina than these old bickering rats. Real opinion!!! Suck it!!!

Jeff said:
      March 24, 2014 at 8:17 AM

You called it. One fat heifer cow and one that locks like an over the hill crackhead. Both just jealous. Seeing them in public is way more disturbing than seeing 19 and 23 year old hotties ;)

funkydunkey said:
    January 27, 2014 at 4:48 PM

im surprised the police didnt see the baristas nudity as a life threatning situation and open fire on them.
    thats what the fucking cops are doing everywhere else.

Supra said:
    February 2, 2014 at 12:54 PM

They look tasty! I'm going to try and watch it live streaming at http://www.watchsuperbowllive.tk/

mike said:
    February 26, 2014 at 6:00 PM

Those poor cops!

cop said:
    February 27, 2014 at 3:58 PM

Geeeeeezzzz..this country and its entitlements…. This is the only country that gets this worked up over sex and public nudity. Who are you to judge what someone wants to do, or show. Dudes like chicks…what's the problem? How do you think you came into this world? Blind luck?

Sagemanx said:
    March 1, 2014 at 5:24 AM

I find it amazing that women don't realize that telling women that their bodies should be demonized is offensive. These women have every right to do what ever they want with their bodies. The people criminalizing prostitution and outlawing places like this have done so for centuries as a way to control women. It's a shame that some people use religion again to oppress people. If I remember correctly Jesus walked with prostitutes and accepted them for who they were with out judging them. Doesn't seem very Christian to me to criminalize prostitution thus making it easy to victimize women. Good going Jesus squad!

RYAN MENGES said:
    March 3, 2014 at 7:12 AM

I AM NOT STICKING UP FOR A WHAT COPS ARE CALLING PROSTITUTES BUT I AM A LITTLE PISSED OFF THAT THE CITY OF KENT CHARGED THEIR TAX PAYERS TO CONDUCT AN INVESTIGATION FOR DAMN NEAR A HALF OF A YEAR AND THAT THEY PAYED FOR THESE PIGS TO GET THEIR LITTLE PEE-PEE'S SUCKED ON AND HAD TO BUY THESE PIGS DAMN COFFEE ON TOP OF IT! SUCH A DAMN WASTE! KENT IS THE SECTION 8 CAPITAL OF THE STATE AND ON BENSON HIGHWAY WHERE THIS IS, ITS NOT IN ANY KIND OF NEIGHBORHOOD PER SAY ITS IN A RETAIL AREA WHERE ALL KINDS OF CRIME IS GOING ON UP AND DOWN THE STREET IN ALL DIRECTIONS! JUST GO SIT IN ONE OF THE RETAIL STORE PARKING LOTS LIKE SAFEWAY OR ALBERTSONS THERE IS NOTHING BUT DOPE DEAL AFTER DOPE EAL GOING ON 24 HOURS A DAY!

Tired Progressive said:
    March 5, 2014 at 5:59 PM

Jeez Kent… I wonder how many wives were beaten, how many children were molested, how many animals were abused, how many teens went missing, how many burglaries occurred, and how much gang violence went down during that 5 month period while the police department was spending their limited resources to perv out on the bikini barista cartel.

cowcharge said:
    March 7, 2014 at 12:13 PM

You mean "waitresses".

Kay said:
    March 12, 2014 at 9:59 AM

Maybe the law needs to take a long, hard look at Sips Ahoy up north for their "coffee" sales. Just looking at the postings on their FB pages tells you what kind of goods they are probably really selling.

APSports said:
    March 18, 2014 at 9:47 PM

Why bust these girls earning minimum wage but leave the high profile escorts that service Seattle's elite?

Everyone knows you can call a Seattle 'escort' service in-call and/or out-call for anywhere between $100/hr and $5,000/hr and get your kicks.

What do you think the Boeing & Microsoft high rollers spend their money on?

Jeff said:
    March 24, 2014 at 8:08 AM

Why anyone would care about this is beyond logic. Complete and total waste of law enforcement resources. Perhaps those of you so worried about your children, should push for these officers to patrol the schools neighborhoods.

Heavysteel said:
    April 9, 2014 at 12:53 PM

LOL .. they interview woman that are rather unbecoming and we have to listen to them cackle like jealous old hens. Who really cares what they think. If you don't like it …don't go there. Now go back and interview the guys that go there or any guys in general. Talk about bias reporting. These cops are really doing a great job stomping out crime…Pfft! Get a life people and mind your own damn business.

Someguy said:
    April 14, 2014 at 5:36 PM

I guess I will go back to Starbucks now, where there aren't any bikinis.

Guester said:
    April 16, 2014 at 10:35 AM

Why do they bust these places but not the asian "massage" parlors?

RedhookESB said:
    April 16, 2014 at 8:03 PM

OMG….They took 5 months to investigate this??? Sounds like the Cops are a bunch of perv's too! What a waste of taxpayer money and time! Macho cops getting free peeks and coffee on our dime for five months….