Parents, school rally around burned teen

imageSEATTLE — A small town teen is recovering in Seattle after a gasoline can exploded and severely burned half of his body on Wednesday.

Caleb Doyle of Raymond, Wash., was severely burned at his neighbors’ home last week. The teen was trying to light a trash pile on fire when a rogue spark landed on a nearby gas can. The gas can erupted, severely burning Doyle.  He suffered burns over 40 percent of his body.

Now, the teen is slowly recovering at Harborview Medical Center in Seattle. His parents and friends hold out hope that he will make a full recovery. Still, the recuperation period will be long, his mother Chrissy Doyle said.

“You just can never prepare yourself for seeing your child go through pain you can do nothing about,” Chrissy Doyle said.

Caleb’s family describes the teen as a gentle giant. At 6’2” tall, Caleb would stand up for anyone.

“He would have done anything for anybody and wouldn’t have thought twice about it,” Chrissy said.

The Raymond community is helping Caleb by supporting him on Facebook and holding a school assembly Monday morning. Caleb’s father Jerry Doyle said the community’s support is amazing.

“It’s pretty touching to have that much support follow you,” Jerry said. “I’m proud of Caleb. He’s a good boy.”

Chrissy can’t wait for the day when she can hug her son again. Until then, she has a message for other parents and kids caught up in life’s trivial troubles.

“What does it matter when you’re sons laying there in bed with tubes everywhere,” she said. “It doesn’t really matter anymore. The small things like that. It’s the moments in life that matter.”

21 Comments to “Parents, school rally around burned teen”

Alexis said:
    February 10, 2013 at 8:39 PM

We all love you Caleb, keep strong and we will see you in the halls soon :]

Jodi said:
    February 10, 2013 at 8:51 PM

Get well fast Caleb! Everyone misses you! :)

Travis Harvill said:
    February 10, 2013 at 9:35 PM

I hope you get better Caleb we all care about you

Nicolas cage said:
    February 10, 2013 at 10:03 PM

real life wicker man!

rhonda cherry said:
    February 10, 2013 at 10:18 PM

My prayers go out to the family & friends. May he heal fast and go home soon. Will keep the family in my prayers.

Tracy said:
    February 10, 2013 at 10:34 PM

Prayers out to Caleb and Family

Sharon Feeney said:
    February 10, 2013 at 11:02 PM

Being a Raymond graduate myself and having much family still living in the community, this has touched so many. I am deeply saddened to hear of this tragedy. My prayers go out to this young man and his family. May God help Caleb to a speedy recovery.

DMG said:
    February 10, 2013 at 11:35 PM

Prayers from Naselle to you and your family! Get well, soon!

Kim Collins said:
    February 11, 2013 at 12:49 AM

We are all pulling for you Caleb, and hope you recover quickly!

Mike Swanson said:
    February 11, 2013 at 6:38 AM

Prayers Continuing for Caleb and his family!

Angela henneman said:
    February 11, 2013 at 6:54 AM

We're all rooting for u Caleb for a fast recovery!!! U can do it

Guesty Guesterson said:
    February 11, 2013 at 7:17 AM

Hope this kid has no plans to sue. The largest gasoline can manufacturer in the nation just went bankrupt due to people suing them when gas cans caught fire as they poured them onto open flames in defiance of all safety warnings on the cans. Most of them also used the "rogue spark" argument.

Corbin said:
    February 11, 2013 at 7:28 AM

Miss you Caleb get well soon!

TessaClements said:
    February 11, 2013 at 7:34 AM

For those of you wanting to help this family, an account has been set up at a local bank. Security State Bank has a Caleb Doyle Fund going to help the family with expenses. I wish it was mentioned on this newscast. The Raymond phone number for the branch is (360) 942-2401. They can instruct you on how to donate. Every penny counts in a situation like this

Alta Sexton said:
    February 11, 2013 at 11:55 AM

I'm so sorry to hear this. I will keep you and your family in my prayers. It isn't going to be easy, but you can do it. Love you. Alta

Guest said:
    February 11, 2013 at 2:14 PM

This simply proves once again that there is never a time when using gasoline to start a fire is a good idea.
    I'm glad he will recover and I hope he uses this lesson to educate himself, his friends,family and everyone how dangerous and just completely unsafe it is to use gasoline to start a fire.
    Any outdoor burning should be done by professionals in well controlled environments.

He is a lucky person to survive.

McKell said:
    February 11, 2013 at 3:14 PM

Praying for you Caleb!

John Macaras said:
    February 11, 2013 at 6:20 PM

Caleb, I'm so sorry about you accident, it hurts my heart. Ive have known you since you were little and when ever we meet you have always been a hugger. and as your Mother said:"some day she will be able to give you a hug again" Just as I will do too. We are not just a small town outside of Seattle, we are a great town with a lot of caring people, that are being supported by donations wishes and prayers. I have heard from many of folks that they are praying for your speedy recovery.
    I will keep you and your family in my thoughts and prayers. Love and miss you Caleb,
    (Big John)

Abby said:
    February 11, 2013 at 9:20 PM

Hope you get better school! Been keeping you and your family in my prayers! I miss seeing u walk the halls always having smile on your face!

Debra Charneski said:
    February 12, 2013 at 4:09 PM

Hang in there Caleb, prayers are to coming your way…

george kunke said:
    February 25, 2013 at 7:04 PM

My prayers are with you Caleb. I'm glad you're getting better!

Geo