Search continues for missing skydiver

skydiver rescue

A view of Mount Si, near North Bend, Wash.

NORTH BEND, Wash. — For a third day, the search for a missing 29-year-old Florida man who was skydiving near Mount Si came up empty Saturday afternoon.

The skydiver has been identified as Kurt Ruppert, 29, of Lake City, Fla. Ruppert was a member of the skydiving club, Skydive Palatka.

“Around 2:30 p.m. (Thursday), a helicopter pilot called the Sheriff’s Office and said that a man had skydived out of his helicopter and did not show up at the landing zone after the jump,” Sgt. Cindi West said. “The pilot said a group of three men were alternating going up in the helicopter to jump; one would jump while the others waited at the landing zone.

“The men were on their second round of jumps when the man disappeared. The pilot said the men were jumping from approximately 6,500 feet near a peak on the west side of the mountain. The peak near the jump location is approximately 2,500 feet. The men waiting at the landing zone said their line of sight was blocked so they did not see the man jump out of the helicopter,” she said.

A crew of more than 100 search and rescue workers continued searching for the missing Ruppert on Saturday; West said they were unable to use a helicopter in the search Saturday due to weather conditions. The rescue operation is difficult because it covers such a large area, about 5 square miles.

Ruppert, an experienced skydiver, was wearing a wing suit when he jumped, so it is possible he could have gone some distance. Investigators said they do not know if his parachute deployed. Crews do not believe he is near any trails in the area, so they are searching rough terrain and ravines.

24 Comments to “Search continues for missing skydiver”

My View said:
    January 4, 2013 at 11:34 AM

Why would anyone skydive in an area that had a specific National weather service high wind warning forecasted. I don't care how experienced of a skydiver you are, you are not prepared for the type of wind that's around North Bend and that comes from a life long resident, experienced skydiver, and FAA certified parachute rigger. Hope the pilot filed a notum with the FAA.

Glenn said:
      January 4, 2013 at 5:54 PM

I think you mean NOTAM and why would the pilot file a NOTAM

john said:
        January 4, 2013 at 6:28 PM

hazards such as air-shows, parachute jumps, kite flying, rocket launches, etc.

My View said:
        January 5, 2013 at 9:42 AM

Because they are required to for skydiving activity.

Kathy said:
    January 5, 2013 at 2:43 PM

Instead of crabbing about something that already occurred, why don't you pray for the family and hope for safety for the skydiver? I am praying because he is part of my family.

Reality said:
      January 8, 2013 at 5:34 PM

Instead of talking to a make-believe-invisible-sky-fairy, why don't you go out and do something meaningful like, I don't know, look for him? Praying, hahaha.

Julia Scarberry said:
    January 11, 2013 at 5:30 AM

I wonder what happened. Hope the man is okay. it is possible that he might have been trapped in a place where he could not go down or call for help due to its isolation. I also think that they made the wrong decision in pursuing such dangerous activity at a time when the weather is not clear.

Julia Scarberry said:
    January 11, 2013 at 5:39 AM

The place looks difficult to search because of the mountains and the fog. The weather does not seem to cooperate which makes he situation worse.

alice said:
    March 16, 2013 at 1:16 AM
    Macy said:
    March 16, 2013 at 1:18 AM

Judy said:
    March 16, 2013 at 1:18 AM

The post is really great piece , I like the way of writing and it is awesome, One of my favorite and the content is very smart.like it , Thanks. http://www.popsclothing.com http://www.clothskill.com

Elise said:
    March 16, 2013 at 1:18 AM

The article is very good, I like it very much.Here I learned a lot, then I will pay more attention to you.I am impressed by the quality of information on this website

more here said:
    March 19, 2013 at 9:42 PM

It is incredible that even though we are constantly complaining about the fact that we as a society have become increasingly selfish, when the going gets tough, we tend to show a more selfless side to ourselves by helping those in need.

Milla said:
    March 21, 2013 at 11:02 PM

Thank you for your sharing! I really like to read it,So good to find somebody with some original thoughts on this subject

writing blog said:
    March 27, 2013 at 10:23 PM

Your content is very unique and informative. How about the updates of any social media activities?
    writers blog<a/>

writing HQ said:
    March 27, 2013 at 10:24 PM

Excellent !! This is vary good blog.Thanks for sharing.Thank you for an additional fantastic post. Where else may one get that kind of knowledge written in such a perfect way? Thanks for sharing.
    blog on writing tips<a/>

write essay said:
    March 27, 2013 at 10:25 PM

I would like to thank you for the efforts you have made in writing this article. I am hoping the same best work from you in the future as well.
    write essay<a/>

personal statement said:
    March 28, 2013 at 3:32 AM

Thank you for taking the time to publish this information very useful!I’m still waiting for some interesting thoughts from your side in your next post thanks
    personal statement<a/>

writing techniques said:
    March 28, 2013 at 3:33 AM

As part of an assignment for research I have to find an article with relevant information on this topic and give the teacher our opinion and the article. Your article helped me a lot.
    writing techniques<a/>

dissertation info said:
    March 28, 2013 at 3:33 AM

You could comment on the customization of the blog. You may describe it's reliable. Your blog compliments might add to your affiliates.
    dissertation writing information<a/>

lockout service said:
    April 9, 2013 at 4:39 AM

This is sad to know that a young diver has been missing for long time . I thin the pilot should know the exact location of the diving point because he was not far from him. I am hope full that rescue companies will find him soon.

how to improve vision after stroke said:
    October 24, 2013 at 5:39 AM

What i do not understood is in truth how you’re no longer actually much more neatly-appreciated than you might be right now.
    You’re very intelligent. You know thus considerably in the case of this matter, made me individually believe it from a lot of numerous angles.
    Its like women and men aren’t involved unless it is one thing to do with Lady gaga!
    Your individual stuffs nice. Always deal with it up!