State sales tax deduction will be extended for 2 years

moneyWASHINGTON — The Washington state sales tax deduction will be extended for two years, Sen. Maria Cantwell, D-Wash., announced Tuesday. It was included in the ‘fiscal cliff’ measure that passed Congress Tuesday night and which President Obama said he will sign into law.

Without an extension, Washington residents would no longer be able to claim the deduction — and save money — when they file their 2012 federal tax returns.  Residents of other states that have state income taxes are allowed to deduct their state inoome taxes on their federal income tax returns, putting Washington and other states without state income taxes at a disadvantage.

Nearly 850,000 Washington residents took advantage of the state and local sales tax deduction in 2009, the most recent year of published IRS data, for an average tax savings of nearly $500 per filer, Cantwell noted.

She said the bill also would extend the Returning Heroes and Wounded Warriors Work Opportunity Tax Credit, the New Markets Tax Credit, the Low-Income Housing Tax Credit, the Research and Development Tax Credit and tax credits for clean energy production.

“This bill protects middle-class families from income taxes going up, and provides certainty for Washington state taxpayers and businesses by extending the state sales tax deduction for two years,” Cantwell said. “Extending the state sales tax deduction puts an average of $500 back in the pockets of 850,000 Washington tax filers.”

11 Comments to “State sales tax deduction will be extended for 2 years”

Dave Lewis said:
    January 2, 2013 at 6:23 PM

No other news reports indicate the sales tax extension was passed. Are we sure it was???

Dan said:
    January 3, 2013 at 8:20 AM

Yes, it is listed as Section 205 in the amendment.

Michellynn said:
    January 4, 2013 at 8:39 PM

The funny thing is it says us in WA would be at a disadvantage without the sales tax credit, which doesn't make sense. Yes other states get to claim their state income tax on their Federal return, but they have to pay a State income tax as well as sales tax. We only pay sales tax and get to claim it. Don't get me wrong I will claim it happily but we really weren't at a disadvantage when we paid less to begin with!

Guest said:
      February 8, 2013 at 5:55 PM

People living in the states with both a state income tax and a sales tax get to choose which one they use for their itemized return, so this is meant to level the playing field for non-income state tax folks

Steve said:
      March 6, 2013 at 11:13 AM

not all states have a sales tax and an income tax .our property tax and sales taxare higher than a lot of states income tax. If they can deduct what they pay for income tax, and we cant deduct our equivelent then we are at a disadvantage.

Hire CFO said:
    February 20, 2013 at 3:33 AM

I think that is a good news for the business persons that they will get relief from sales tax though a little for next 2 years, Hope they will not impose or increase the taxes on any other services whether directly or indirectly

Tera said:
    March 12, 2013 at 9:00 PM

Its like you read my mind! You seem to know so much about this, like you wrote the book in it or something.
    I think that you can do with some pics to drive the message home a little bit, but other than that, this is excellent blog.
    A fantastic read. I will certainly be back.

chronic kidney disease said:
    April 7, 2013 at 11:11 AM

I discovered your blog site on google and check a few of your early posts. Continue to keep up the very good operate. I just additional up your RSS feed to my MSN News Reader. Seeking forward to reading more from you later on!

Bowery Lights Coupon Code said:
    June 27, 2013 at 4:55 AM

Awesome! Its really remarkable paragraph, I have got much

clear idea on the topic of from this paragraph.

www.webmaster-directory.org said:
    June 28, 2013 at 8:43 AM

With havin so much content do you ever run into any problems of plagorism or copyright infringement?
    My website has a lot of completely unique
    content I’ve either created myself or outsourced but it looks like a lot of it is popping it up all over the internet without my authorization. Do you know any methods to help prevent content from being ripped off? I’d really appreciate it.