Virtual-reality game ‘Snow World’ used as pain-management aid

snowworldSEATTLE — University of Washington researchers have developed a new pain-management tool for patients undergoing agonizing medical treatments: A virtual-reality video game that is reducing the need for potent narcotics.

“When you put it on, it`s like you go into your own virtual world and just play; it`s actually quite fun,” said James Morales, a boy who used the game while being treated for burns over nearly 60 percent of his body at Seattle’s Harborview Medical Center. “The burns when I first came in hurt really bad.”

The high-tech game, “Snow World,” was created by UW researchers Drs. David Patterson and Hunter Hoffman.

“There`s a long line of research that distraction, anywhere from doing math problems to watching movies, that all of it can take the edge off of pain. But this is a very elaborate type of distraction and it`s working levels beyond what typical distraction would do,” Patterson said.

In the game, patients in a virtual-reality arctic environment shoot snowballs at penguins, mastodons, snowmen and even fish. “You`re distracted and it just gets rid of the pain,” James said.

His occupational therapist, Heather Hoffman, agrees.

“Sometimes, especially children, get a little anxious when I’m about to start stretching where they`re hurting, and so it allows them to be distracted and just be a little less anxious … and then I tell them afterwards how much range I achieved and it kind of gives them more confidence,” Hoffman said.

In tests, the game decreases a patient’s pain and the need for strong narcotic medications.  It also helps to improve a patients overall rehab and state of mind.

James said, “I never knew that a video game could help you with your pain, when you`re doing stuff, it`s weird.”

Military burn centers have been collaborating with Patterson and Hunter Hoffman to test “Snow World” in the treatment of combat burns. That research has shown not only that patients report less pain while playing “Snow World,” but that MRI scans show the game reduces the brain’s pain signals.

14 Comments to “Virtual-reality game ‘Snow World’ used as pain-management aid”

Carl Blank said:
    November 29, 2012 at 8:05 PM

Im glad that i was able to see my best friends son go through this kind of pain management even though he has always been a trooper when it comes to dealing with adult types of situations.

guest said:
    December 3, 2012 at 7:32 PM

I am a chronic pain sufferer and I have noticed that distractions to help a lot with pain management. All sorts of media helps, like movies, music, and reading. But when I play my favorite video games, specifically the Formula 1 2012 game, I get so distracted that I don't even consider how bad my pain is. So it isn't just some placebo thing going on, video games actually do help a lot more than anyone would have thought. Now, as someone with chronic pain I know that for some people video games cannot be a complete substitute for pain medication, but it can help the patient so they don't have to take as much.

cygnis media said:
    December 11, 2012 at 2:35 AM

the virtual gaming will be not popular as it will get many health problems for professional games in the society

Jones sabo except as property said:
    April 11, 2013 at 11:45 PM

hello there and thank you for your info – I’ve definitely picked up something new from right here

diabetic foot pain said:
    August 4, 2013 at 8:24 AM

My spouse and I stumbled over here coming from a different web page
    and thought I should check things out. I like what I see
    so now i am following you. Look forward to exploring your web page for
    a second time.

movers in dc said:
    March 28, 2014 at 10:47 PM

My family every time say that I am killing my time
    here at net, however I know I am getting familiarity daily by reading thes nice
    content.

blacktiepro.com said:
    March 31, 2014 at 10:17 PM

You ought to take Mukta Vati to get higher blood stress therapy in an natural way
    with out any aspect effects. Consuming a little bit of the
    diluted apple cider vinegar is also advantageous for well being.

пердильник said:
    April 5, 2014 at 1:17 AM

Thanks for every other informative site. The place else
    may I get that type of info written in such
    a perfect method? I have a venture that I’m just now running
    on, and I have been on the glance out for such info.

Eusebia said:
    April 7, 2014 at 5:09 PM

I like the valuable info you provide in your articles. I’ll bookmark your blog and

check again here frequently. I am quite certain I will learn many new stuff right here!

Best of luck for the next!

remodeling your Kitchen said:
    April 13, 2014 at 9:19 AM

Hello Dear, are you genuinely visiting this website on

a regular basis, if so then you will definitely take nice experience.

Margarito said:
    April 16, 2014 at 10:20 PM

Thanks on your marvelous posting! I truly enjoyed reading
    it, you could be a great author.I will always bookmark your blog and may come back
    from now on. I want to encourage you to ultimately continue your great
    posts, have a nice holiday weekend!

hidradenitis suppurativa said:
    April 17, 2014 at 4:02 AM

The study noted, “Dried plum also suppressed lymphocyte tumor necrosis factor (TNF)-. Surgery is not a guarantee that the spot that was operated on will not become infected again. I still had boils but not as many as with the Accutane.